Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Crazy-a** tantrums....need advice desperately

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My first son, my oldest, is two and has started to have some really awful tantrums, this latest one he banged his head against the crib, and kicked and screamed so loud on the floor for almost 20 minutes.  I'm not sure if this is normal or not.  I filmed part of it so I can show the pediatrician, but in the meantime I'm worried and a bit bummed.  DH and I are good, loving parents, I can't figure this out.  Not sure if this is normal or not.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:12 PM
Replies (11-19):
BrownEyedGirl86
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:23 PM

oh yes they are very very determine little beings haha...continue on with whatever you are doing and ask if he is ready to come help you or play; if he continues I would walk away and just say when  you are ready to calm down mommy is ready to play....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

I would think its normal - when he calms down talk to him and tell him how silly he looks maybe even show him the video- I have an almost 2 year old she is my second, and i tell her all the time - you can throw a fit if you would like but mommy is going to finish doing_____...so she doesn't get any attention when she acts like that

I've tried ignoring him, but I am so amazed how long he can go.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Thanks Mama, I'm glad to hear this is all part of being a toddler.  I feel a bit better now.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

oh yes they are very very determine little beings haha...continue on with whatever you are doing and ask if he is ready to come help you or play; if he continues I would walk away and just say when  you are ready to calm down mommy is ready to play....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

I would think its normal - when he calms down talk to him and tell him how silly he looks maybe even show him the video- I have an almost 2 year old she is my second, and i tell her all the time - you can throw a fit if you would like but mommy is going to finish doing_____...so she doesn't get any attention when she acts like that

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM
It's a frustration thing because they can't communicate very well at that age.

Talk to them like a cave man. "Timmy mad" "mommy sad" "no hit" "hurts bad"

Trying to explain stuff to them like "when you calm down we can talk about your behavior" doesn't compute when they're in that mood.

Ask simple questions "want hug" "want snack"
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Also, what is in his diet?

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Normal.  

mrspeterrabbit
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Good luck with the terrible twos mama:)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:33 PM
my son just turned 3 in january and I'm thankful he hasn't thrown a fit now in quite awhile probably a little over a month. His tantrums consisted of him standing in one spot and screaming and crying and throwing himself on the floor to scream cry and kick some more. I quit trying to talk to him because he only screamed louder and i started putting him in his bed and shutting his door and leaving him there until he came out or feel asleep. Ocassionaly he would fall asleep, the rest of the time he would come out of his room extremly calm like and tell me he's sorry and go about his day. My husband says he is just like me, he needs to go and scream for awhile and comes back a totaly different person ;) I say maybe he just needs to freak out because he's frustrated and can't exactly talk it out. I'm not gonna lie sometimes when my communication skills aren't working well for me I wanna fling myself around and scream and cry too so I can't blame him for having those moments.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:07 PM

not a problem just remember they know what they are doing talk to him and tell him how ya feel it makes you upset and whatever....

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks Mama, I'm glad to hear this is all part of being a toddler.  I feel a bit better now.

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting BrownEyedGirl86:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting suzanneyea:

Also, what is in his diet?

We are super-healthy around here, every day he gets a shake with fresh fruits and veggies, we don't have processed foods around the house, I even bake our whole grain bread.  A typical lunch for him:

carrot sticks, avocado, almond butter and jelly sandwish, apples, cottage cheese and a little bit of my homemade chili...all small portions.  He's right on target for height and weight...he's a solid little guy, very muscular. 

Drinks in the house consist of milk and water, we don't have any crap foods around the house.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)