Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How stressful was your wedding?

Posted by   + Show Post

So, inspired by the other wedding thread, post your wedding craziness here!

Mine:

Mine was so stressful. My parents paid for some of it, but my mom wanted to plan the entire thing. I had no idea the whole thing would turn me into such a lunatic!

I really had no desire to spend a ginormous amount of money on the thing, but I wanted to make the decisions. I could've shaved 2-3 grand off the bill if I had control over the thing. My mom kept hiring people behind my back, buying wedding favors, changing things.

I wasn't super picky about the caterer but I didn't want this specific caterer because they did my friend's wedding and they were rude and the presentation was crap. I told her this. Who does she hire? That specific company. So I go along with it. Whatever. I called them to ask some questions about the menu and they acted like they couldn't be bothered. They told me they had another ceremony that day and couldn't do all this stuff. They were supposed to offer desserts. They said "We might be able to do cookies". Basically everything I asked was "we'll see what we can do, but we have this other ceremony". Wtf? If you can't do it say no, but this isn't acceptable.

So I can fired them and she was pissed.

I was going to have the bridesmaids wear black dresses of their choice. My mom said no, she wanted matching dresses. So I took off work a day that I really couldn't afford to take off. Had two of my maids drive over, two girls who don't get along. We picked out a dress, or rather they picked it out. I picked the color. Done. So we get home and my mom tells me we can't do that dress because with tax and everything it was going to be too expensive. The other two bridesmaids had rich parents who were buying em, so it really was those two who were buying their own. I think the price tag ended up being $130 each. They picked out the dresses. I would assume if they couldn't afford it, they would've said so. Anyway, she's now telling me that I have to do the whole thing all over again because she's worried about the girls being able to afford it.

I had a total meltdown. I was 24 and bawling like a baby. I was so stressed out and now I'm going to have to get these two girls who hate each other back together and take another day off work and find some other dress when I didn't even want bridesmaids dresses to begin with. Finally she let it go and we did those dresses.

There was this whole thing with the minister. She didn't like the one I hired, so she hired a second one. We had two ministers do the ceremony together. Because for some reason that makes it different. She didn't want to fire the one I hired, but she wanted someone different. It was ridiculous. It looked dumb and we had to pay two ministers fees.

She kept buying wedding favors that I didn't want and that looked tacky. I'm not joking, we had like five different wedding favors.

I had this one song in my head that I always wanted at my wedding: Ave Maria. She hires the wedding singer. Fine. Then I find out this woman is a super religious woman who refuses to sing Ave Maria because it's against her beliefs. Gah. The ONE thing I wanted.

Then my mother in law changed the wedding date. She just told us that date wasn't going to work. It never occurred to me to run the date by her first. Is that what people do? I had already booked stuff and lost some security deposits changing things.

In the end, the wedding was beautiful (and despite all this complaining, I really do get along with my parents and in laws!), but I definitely should've gotten some xanax before starting the whole process!

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:21 PM
My wedding was awesome and stress free. My husband and I paid for everything ourselves. My mother helped with whatever I asked her to, and kept her mouth shut the rest of the time. My mom is awesome.
lga1965
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Not stressful. It was small, in the church's small chapel. I bought my dress. It was a sample in size 8 and fit perfectly. My bridesmaids all agreed on a dress. I arranged for the photographer , the cake, and my parents only had to contribute a little bit. We had a reception without booze, no dance. Everyone enjoyed themselves. No stress, just fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alf2651
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM

We eloped. We were originally going to plan a big wedding, but ended up just doing it with a JOP with just my parents present. We plan on having a wedding in a couple of years for everyone else.

CafeMom Tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

We were paying for the whole wedding.  DH was working part time while going to school, I was working full time.  I got laid off two weeks before my wedding.

My friend made my wedding dress but it was a month since I last put it on.  The night before the wedding she was nowhwere to be found.  I had to sit listening to DH's groomsmen try to talk him out of the wedding (they were drinking outside our bedroom window) and mentally figure out what to do if she didn't get there in time.  She did and the dress fit perfectly.  One small problem - DH decided to WD40 the tripod and we somehow managed to get it on my dress (which came out for the most part).

We had the opportunity to use a free venue - that same venue was rented out for soccer reservations in the morning.  They refused to leave when we came in to set up.  I finally sent DH and groomsmen off to get ready and had it out with the coordinator.  Got it set up but had to run back to the apartment to get dressed.  My friend was kind enough to spend so much time in front of the mirror that I couldn't shower (not recommended for a wedding in August in Tampa). 

Got a call from my mom - I figured to complain I was late.  Nope, the officiant wasn't there.  Then to add to everything else, my friend left me in her unairconditioned car at the gas station to get water.  WTF?

After that it was good!  Officiant arrived, wedding went off without a hitch and while our honeymoon was shortened to an overnight stay at a swanky B&B, we got good news that DH was hired on full time at Verizon.

alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine was. My dh and I paid for all of it. Mom was mad because I wouldn't wear her dress or at least only buy a $99 dress. I spent $765 on mine and I paid for it so whatever. She was mad because I didn't want her husband to walk me down the aisle and refused to walk me down until my family griped at her. I had to go 5 separate times with my 5 different bridesmaids to get them sized because no matter how far in advance I tried to make so we all could go they just wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liveforever
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Zero stress!!!

It was planned within 2 weeks. There were 4 people at the ceremony, and afterwards, 20 close family and friends met us for dinner at a nice local restaurant (we had the private dining room). It was simple (without being a court house wedding) just the way I wanted! We used the money we had for a down payment on our house instead.

suzanneyea
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM

It really wansnt stressful. I had nothing else to do, I had fun doing it.

crazymom21
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM
No stress for me at all. Went and got our wedding license and had our pastor marry us two weeks later. Invited anyone who wanted to see us get married. My mom and a few ladies at church decided they wanted to throw me and hubby a reception so they did pot luck. My mom even made a bouquet for me and a thingy for dh. Only hitch is my sister didn't come because she worked nights and was being a booger
embrigmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Mine was a bit stressful. My mom would tell me she wasn't comming and then she was. A lot of other dumb shit to but in the end it was a good day.

tanya_marieh
by The one and only on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Mine wasn't stressful at all, we just went to the justice of the peace and that was that.  Cheap and easy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)