Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Bullied for earning my lunch in the school cafeteria by kids receiving FREE LUNCH.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was in Jr. High in the early 90's and my mom asked me to work in the school cafeteria to save the family money.  My parents made too much for us to qualify for free lunch assistance, but students who gave up half of their lunch period to pass out food also received free lunch in exchange.  Many of the other student workers had severe special needs.  Maybe the jobs were offered to them first?  I'm honestly not sure. 

I was constantly teased by classmates that used the logic that because I work in the cafeteria, that there "must be something wrong with me", followed by physical confrontations.  I often ate in the cafeteria managers office just to avoid them.  One day during my second year of service, she had left out the list of the students that received free lunch.  I admit that it was wrong, but I snooped. 

Low and behold, about half of the kids that habitualy picked on me were on that list!  I couldn't farking believe it!  I could have outed them or individually threatened them into silence (all students paid with an account linked to their student ID, whether they paid cash or not).  But, it was never my style to defend myself in any way and I didn't want to get "fired".

Please don't turn this into a beaten horse debate.  My oldest just started qualifying for free lunch, so I take it.  I was a SAHM for six years and just left my abusive husband who always paid the all of our bills.  I'm just happy that there is so much bullying awareness and prevention programs out there these days.  I can't help but selfishly think that it would've been nice to have 20 yrs ago.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:09 PM
My ds got made fun of for bringing his lunch.Kids told him he was to poor to eat at school, he loved bringing it. We also get free lunches
cassandrans
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Kid's are such assholes.

LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM
Did your mom know you were going through that? :/
LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:14 PM
Kids can be creeps! It's usually more to pack your own so what the heck to they know? Jerks. Lol

Quoting Anonymous: My ds got made fun of for bringing his lunch.Kids told him he was to poor to eat at school, he loved bringing it. We also get free lunches
Devious333
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM
I would have made fun of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, but she only came down to the school once to complain.  Nothing changed.  If anyone picks on my kids, they will be getting both barrels from me.  Worst case scenario, I would homeschool if the matter couldn't be resolved.

Quoting LadyNCVE: Did your mom know you were going through that? :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol yea plus i always stuck in a bite size kit kat :) they dont get that on school lunch!

Quoting LadyNCVE: Kids can be creeps! It's usually more to pack your own so what the heck to they know? Jerks. Lol

Quoting Anonymous: My ds got made fun of for bringing his lunch.Kids told him he was to poor to eat at school, he loved bringing it. We also get free lunches
cdjd23
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM
I liked working in the cafeteria, I thought it was fun and I volunteered for it and would still bring my own lunch.
Derari
by :::Achtung::: on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:35 PM

I wonder if kids were as mean then, as they are now...sad that kids go through this shit at every opportunity. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Our neighbor's kid made fun of my son for bringing a packed lunch every day. And that kid was on the free lunch program.
Some kids are just assholes.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)