Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom is forcing kid with seizures to get his driver's license *UPDATE*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 99 Replies

A co-worker is forcing her 16 year old son to get his driver's license even though he has what she calls staring seizures several times a week and full blown ones at least once a month. She said he's old enough and she doesn't HAVE to report the epilepsy to the DMV. She says she is tired of driving him around and if he wants to go anywhere he will have to drive himself. 

He was taking Driver's Ed through the school, but the instructor dropped him because of this issue. The mom didn't even warn the instructor!! He found out when the kid was having a startle seizure while behind the wheel. 

Am I crazy here? I don't know alot about epilepsy, but this seems incredibly dangerous to me. Is her behavoir considered abuse? What can be done about this?

Update: I had to work with this same Mom last night. She was upset because the police and CPS showed up at her house. They questioned her about her son's epilepsy. They wanted proof that he was being treated for epilepsy, the Dr's name. The police told her that the son's license was temporarily suspended pending an investigation. CPS told her she could be facing child endangerment charges and the police said she could get charged with something like fraud for not completing the DMV forms properly.

Man, oh man, was she pissed!!! I didn't try to hide the fact that I turned her in. It made for an uncomfortable night, but IMO I did that right thing and it was worth it. I'm sure I will be hearing from the boss today, but I really don't care and will defend my actions to the death.

I was really kind of surprised that things happened that quickly. I expected it to take at least a week.

Oh, and I found out that she takes her son to a Dr in Nebraska, lives in Iowa. I think that was how she got around him being red flagged at the DMV, the Dr may have only reported it in Nebraska?  I don't know .

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bubble_guts
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
always2nd
by Outlandish on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:48 AM
She is an idiot. My husband has those seizures. She must not be getting him help, because the doctors would barr him from driving.
lanceandhailey
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

He shouldn't be driving, she is not only endangering others, but she is endangering her own son! How sad..

GleekingOut
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Is he on medication? Unless he was, that would automatically bar him. Otherwise I'd make an anon tip to the DMW or the anon crime line. my DD's friend who is severely epileptic tried to get her license by lying about her seizures but her doctor reported otherwise.
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Call the DMV.  She is an idiot.  If he has an accident, she is opening herself up to a HUGE lawsuit.  

o0gone0o
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM

yea he would be barred from driving I believe its 6months seizure free to drive here in PA.

KiKi-Love
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
She's a moron! The teen knows his condition, and should speak up.
2kids2dogs2cats
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Well I think it is important for everyone to know how to drive in case of emergency, but to want your child to risk his life because you are too tired to drive him around is absurd.  I would think someone could call the Dept. of Motor Vehicles and ask what to do?

Why would she want to risk her kid?

DoofusAloofus
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

As far as I know most DMVs (or Secretary of State as they are called here) have a method of reporting unsafe drivers. Most often this seems to be for senior citizens who can no longer see or react well enough to continue driving, but is definitely also for people who are known to routinely drive under the influence (alcohol or drugs), people on meds, and medical limitations such as seizures. I wouldn't hesitate to report someone in such situations, not to be a busybody, but because I value my life and don't want myself or my loved ones (or anyone else's) to be endangered by such people.

Honestly though I'd likely even tell said friend that I am going to report this to the DMV/SOS. If you entirely want to avoid any confrontation you can simply go to DMV (many have a tip line and/or a manner of reporting online).

lunyuny
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Hopefully this kid will bring it up at DMV. Dumb mom
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN