Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i did everything right and we still get screwed...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 75 Replies
1 mom liked this
In my state they don't go by income when it comes to state insurance for adults instead they go by categories and that don't seem right...
Here is the situation:
Dh and I got married after we had our first child...dh is a veteran who served 6 years and 3 tours over seas..when he got out we bought a house..we have three kids when our youngest was born ill a few years ago (still has many health issues) I gave up my career...a year ago dh was hurt at work since then we have lost our insurance through his job and workers comp pays very little weekly, I have been looking for work and still have not found anything...so we sucked up our pride and applied for food stamps and health insurance
We were denied insurance on us as adults so not understanding why because my friend who's income is higher then ours gets insurance on herself through the state I asked the case workers how come we were denied only to be told they don't go by income for insurance on adults they go by categories and basically since we're married we didn't qualify..
Now my friend is a single mom to one child, lives in housing, gets food stamps, free daycare and free health insurance, but her income is higher then our income right now and has a lot less bills..(been living like this for almost 9 years)
We're a family of five including a severely ill child, only get food stamps, own a house, struggling cause of dh being hurt at work...but because we're married we don't qualify, my friend because she is a single mom qualifies..
To me that don't seem right at all why punish us cause we did it right and got married?
It should go by income not categories!!!
Just needed to vent it's been a long year and I have had some health issues and have no way to go to a doctor :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
staceysgorbach
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Welcome to the good old U.S.A!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Just do what my dad did when he was faced with the same type of crap. He got divorced from his wife. They still live together just not legally married anymore. Shitty thing to do but you have to do what you have to do in the corrupt government.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM
I actually made that same suggestion to dh last week.

Quoting Anonymous: Just do what my dad did when he was faced with the same type of crap. He got divorced from his wife. They still live together just not legally married anymore. Shitty thing to do but you have to do what you have to do in the corrupt government.
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM
I am completely ignorant about military policies so, I am sorry if this sounds stupid but, I thought if you were in the military you still had medical coverage even after you got out?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:56 AM
It is what it is. Just look online for inexpensive insurance and pay for it yourself
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope, when Dh got out after his last tour over seas because he watch his best friend get killed and couldn't handle it that meant loosing all benefits because he didn't retire from the military.

Quoting Rebecca7708: I am completely ignorant about military policies so, I am sorry if this sounds stupid but, I thought if you were in the military you still had medical coverage even after you got out?
o0gone0o
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM

If you have a medical need that requires daily medicine or frequent Dr. visits to keep under control you can sometimes still qualify even if you otherwise wouldn't. However you have to list those reasons. They have an appeal option for a reason. Appeal the decision, mark down how your DH is injured and what he requires on a regular bases as well as what your child needs on a regular bases to maintain a healthy life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Can't afford anything right now we are not even able to cover all bills every month (my neighbor let's us use her WiFi)

Quoting Anonymous: It is what it is. Just look online for inexpensive insurance and pay for it yourself
Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Some areas you don't even need to be divorced, just legally separated. My aunt and uncle were told to legally separate so their daughter could get more financial aid for college.

Quoting Anonymous: I actually made that same suggestion to dh last week.

Quoting Anonymous: Just do what my dad did when he was faced with the same type of crap. He got divorced from his wife. They still live together just not legally married anymore. Shitty thing to do but you have to do what you have to do in the corrupt government.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:00 AM
My kids do get insurance

Quoting o0gone0o:

If you have a medical need that requires daily medicine or frequent Dr. visits to keep under control you can sometimes still qualify even if you otherwise wouldn't. However you have to list those reasons. They have an appeal option for a reason. Appeal the decision, mark down how your DH is injured and what he requires on a regular bases as well as what your child needs on a regular bases to maintain a healthy life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)