Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son is converting :( (Christian post)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies
My son is engaged to his girlfriend of 4 years. They're 24 and I've never been crazy about her, but he loves her a lot.

We're devout Christians. My son fell away from his faith a bit when he met her. They recently got engaged, and today he told me that he's converting to Judaism for her. I asked why and he said it was important to her family so he's going to.

I asked about his faith and our feelings and he said "I wouldn't call myself a Christian even if I wasn't converting". I asked about when they have kids and he said they'd be raised jewish too. so upset. I can't help but internally blame his girlfriend a bit, even though I know that's wrong.

Does anyone have any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:32 PM
22 moms liked this

Realize that your son is an adult and his personal convictions regarding faith does not change the fact that he is your SON.

It's really none of your business, so close that door and let it be.

Maries_Mom23
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM

She said it well! :)

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Realize that your son is an adult and his personal convictions regarding faith does not change the fact that he is your SON.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Let him live his life the way he wishes too.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM

No advice, though I'm sure that hurts a little and feels like a rejection of your faith and values. 

But remember, it's not over until it's over.  Anything can happen in the course of one's life.  Just love them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly this.

Quoting OwlNuggets:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:34 PM
I was raised Christian but when I studied judaism in depth it made much more sense to me.
shjchica
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:35 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm far from religious, but as long as your son is loving God who cares how he chooses to do so?

Bonnie_
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Well... at least  they believe in God.  It could be worse...  she could be a Scientologist.  Then you  would never see him again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you realize he's going to get circumcized? (if he hasnt been already)

Judaism isn't too much different than Christianity

Lynette
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:37 PM

If he is happy let him be.  As much as I want my children to follow the faith they were raised I would accept it if they choose to find a different faith as adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)