Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son wants to change his name

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
I got married a month ago and just changed my name. Before we got married my son didn't want me to change my name because he thought we wouldn't be a family if we didn't have the same last name. I told him our blood made us family not our name. That seemed to suffice. Now he wants to change his name too.

His dad is in his life so it's not like his step dad can adopt him. I don't think his dad would let him change his name and I don't think it would be a good long term decision for him.

So how do I get him to realize that a name isn't very important?

He said he wants to be our last name can I just let him go by that name even if it's not legally his name?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:13 PM

How old is he? You could explain that it would hurt his dads feelings If he changed his name. Beyond that, depending on his age, it seems like a firm no should be sufficient if you have already explained this to him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:15 PM
2 moms liked this
Why'd you change your name if it wasn't important?

I still have my maiden name, as well as ds. If I get married, I won't change it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:39 PM
He's almost 7

Quoting Anonymous:

How old is he? You could explain that it would hurt his dads feelings If he changed his name. Beyond that, depending on his age, it seems like a firm no should be sufficient if you have already explained this to him. 

thelonebuffalo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM
I hyphenated my last name. Oldest ds didn't want to be the only one in the house with that last name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM
You've got a good point there.

I had been using my Ex's name because it was the same as my sons.

I wanted to change it because I want to have my husbands last name not my Ex's. Plus I like his last name better. It's easier to say/spell.

Quoting Anonymous: Why'd you change your name if it wasn't important?

I still have my maiden name, as well as ds. If I get married, I won't change it.
SaraA_1989
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't have a different last name than my children. You showed him that the last name does make a difference by going against his wishes and changing your name.
ame85
by Chemistry cat on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Would it be possible to compromise and hyphenate the two last names?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM
Would you have changed his name if he wanted it?

Quoting thelonebuffalo: I hyphenated my last name. Oldest ds didn't want to be the only one in the house with that last name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:43 PM
No.

I hate my old name.

Quoting ame85: Would it be possible to compromise and hyphenate the two last names?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 8:44 PM
I had a friend that went by her step-dads name at school even though legally she still had her dads name. Usually forms at school enrollment ask what their name is & what they prefer to be called. Ask the school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured