Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Will my therapist take me seriously?

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

I live in Tennessee and the laws have become really strict here about medicine like Xanax. I was at the er for panic attacks yesterday and they recommended asking my therapist for Xanax or something like it.

i don't want to seem like a drug addict by asking for a medicine. Do you think she'll take me seriously?

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabear55
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:10 PM

BUMP!

luvmybug
by Amanda on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM
She should take your input seriously. I don't know if she will, but she SHOULD.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Maybe ask her for something less addictive first?
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Just tell your doctor that when you were at the emergency room for panic attacks, it was suggested to you by the medical personnel attending to you to try an anti-anxiety medication and you'd like to know more about that and if it could be something beneficial to you.

AVE SATANAS!
Pita369
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:12 PM
If you can take the ER report and talk with him/her and decide as a team
sweetiebell
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:13 PM

well if she knows your medical past and everything i dont think there would be a reason for her not to take you seriously. i would be looking for a new one if she didnt

kiddycat73
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM
Don't ask for Xanax specifically. Tell her about your ER visit, and that the ER Dr suggested that you may need an anti anxiety medication. Ask how she feels about that and what she feels would be best for you and your treatment plan.
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I personally wouldn't ask for a spicific med, but would rather ask about anti-anxiety meds and explain what happened and has been happening with the panic attacks and see what the doctor recommends.  I also have bad anxiety and hate sounding drug-seeky especially since I have a history of drug abuse (though meds like xanax were never my drugs of choice).

jowens8907
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Don't ask for a specific drug unless you have already been prescribed that by another doctor. Tell the therapist what all is going on and that you feel medication would be beneficial. The therapist will be able to recommend something for you.
lunyuny
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:18 PM
Have the ER send your visit to her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN