Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

dog ate oreos. what do i need to do? *update*

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM
  • 37 Replies

ok, so i'm probably going to get bashed all to hell but i need to post anyway.   DD put both puppies where they weren't supposed to be and they got ahold of approx half a bag of generic oreos.   not sure how many cookies DD snuck, if any.  the pups are somewhere between 7 and 8 weeks old. there are no emergency vets close by so i figured i'd ask here before traveling across the county.

surprisingly, i've never had this come up in all the years i've had dogs.  then again, i've never had puppies this little either. 

they seem to acting normal.  they're drinking plenty of water. they haven't had a bowel movement yet so i haven't been able to check it for anything abnormal.   so, please help.  DD is freaking out that she might have killed the puppies. :(  she's always been told not to give dogs chocolate because it could kill them.  

edit- got ahold of an emergency vet clinic.  the lady says they should be fine, just keep an eye out.  if they get excessive runs, call back.  i took them out of the kennel.  they woke up when i walked by and started crying so they're sitting with me on the couch, snuggling as usual. 

thank you to the people who didn't crack jokes.  

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Just keep an eye on them...If they start showing symptoms of chocolate poisoning you know what you need to do.

Their eyes will get glassy and they'll become lethargic and OBVIOUSLY not right.

my pug has eaten a few oreos at a time before with no effect...I'm thinking there's not enough real chocolate to make a huge difference in small doses.

SaraA_1989
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM
I don't get why you'd need to do anything. Dogs eat their own shit. Some oreos isn't that big of a deal.
Seagodess
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Call a emergency vet somewhere else and get info. At that age, it could be very dangerous.
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Not all dogs are affected by chocolate. Our idiot dog ate an entire double batch of double chocolate chip cookies and had no issues. Just keep an eye on them.
TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:22 PM

they're puppies and chocolate is toxic for dogs.   idk if there is enough chocolate content for it to matter, or even if there is real chocolate in there at all.  i care, becaue i love the little boogers and i care about their well being.  

Quoting SaraA_1989: I don't get why you'd need to do anything. Dogs eat their own shit. Some oreos isn't that big of a deal.

fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Actually Chocolate is the last ingred. in oreos and they don't contain theobromine which is what harms dogs. They should be fine.

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Oreos have little actual chocolate. The baker's or dark chocolate is the dangerous stuff. They might have diarrhea. How big are they?

rachellaree20
by Rachel on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Keep an eye on them, no need to freak out yet.  Some dogs handle small amounts of chocolate just fine.  A dog I had when I was younger ate a dozen chocolate frosted chocolate doughnuts and was perfectly fine.

ShannaBee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Oreos will probably just give the dog diarrhea. It's dark chocolate that is more dangerous to dogs.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

To be on the safe side, I'd make them throw up.  You dose them with peroxide, 5cc's or 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight.  Keep them confined in the kitchen so when they throw up you can easily clean it up. If they don't throw up in 15 minutes, you can dose them again.  Use a oral syringe to dose them.  

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/03/15/how-and-when-to-induce-vomiting-in-pets.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)