Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Can they take my kids away for this

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies

Ever since my husband and I seperated...People say i've became depressed. I refuse to admit i am depressed. Irritable? Yes. Bitchy? Yes. Over emotional? Yes. Have more mood swings than a 9 month pregnant woman? Most definitly. But to say "i'm depressed" no. i refuse to.

My mom had me schedule an appointment to talk to the dr and get on anti-bitchy pills...and i'm scared to death if my ex would find out somehow, they would take my kids away saying i'm mentally unstable. 

When I had my DD they tried to diagnose me with PPD...And I honestly think I had PPD...but I had also just been through living fucking hell (17 day hospital stay on life support almost died 4 times) and so I, rudely, told them "i'm 17 years old, i went through living fucking hell this last 2 weeks, barley saw my newborn daughter, 17 days of being stuck in a hospital completley out of it and you are pushing depression on me?" and that ended it right there. never heard from them again. I regret that tho...I think i needed the meds and the help...

Can my ex use this against me in court if i get on anti-depressants?

I dont want to go tomorrow and hear the dr tell me i'm depressed...

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Your more likely to have issues if you have documented, yet untreated depression.
proudmommy690
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
If you are given them and take them like they are supposed to be used, then no, there's nothing he can do.

If you are prescribed them and don't take them, then possibly he could because then they could say you aren't taking your medicine correctly so you could be a danger to the kids.
TrueTrophyWife
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM
I can safely say that most of the domestic attorneys and judges for that matter take antidepressants.
Get the mess you need and stop being concerned with it.
kristinbugg
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:46 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm a CPS worker.

Your children cannot be taken away from you, due to mental illness, unless you are a danger to yourself or others AND/OR your mental illness causes you to become abusive or neglectful.

As you are seeking the appropriate help and resources, I highly doubt this could be used against you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM
There's no reason for him to find out unless someone tells him.

You might not even need the meds if you want to try therapy. Again, no reason for him to know... and if think a judge would be happier knowing mom was taking all the measurements towards her health- physical and mental
TrueTrophyWife
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:48 PM
This is not true at all! My sons dad is a domestic attorney! The only thing that could hurt her is her behavior and refusing treatment!

Quoting Anonymous: Make sure he doesn't find out because he can deem you unfit and go for custody
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM
He has no reason to know. He had no right to ask. It's private and legally protected. No they can't take them unless you're a danger to yourself out children.
SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:49 PM

As long as you're getting help via it be counciling/therapy sessions or being on mediciation for it or doing both there is nothing your ex can do. Doing nothing though he could.

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:50 PM
They won't take your children for getting help. They will if you do not.
mrs_patterson
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 10:52 PM

PP's have already said it, but I'll say it too... Your kids cannot be taken from you simply for taking anti-depressants. In taking meds, you are seeking treatment to make your illness better... It would definitely cause you more problems to refuse treatment. FYI, there is NOTHING wrong with saying, "Hey, I'm pretty depressed and need help dealing with it." I've dealt with it for years, first hand. If you need/want to talk about it, feel free to message me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)