Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

2nd opinion vet says to declaw too :(

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM
  • 30 Replies

Thanks to all the people who suggested I get a second opinion, and a big thank you to the person who suggested I look into the laser procedure for declawing.

Backstory:  My cat has thickening of her nails and the sheaths are not coming away.  2 claws are ingrown.  1st doctor suggest a full declaw, all back claws, but insisted the 2 had to be removed.

Second doctor said a full declaw is extreme, but the 2 claws should come out.  He said it is a chronic problem and really quite painful.  She bit him twice and hissed at his assistant which is SO unlike her and she only did it when they tried to extend the 2 claws in question.

The 2nd doctor uses laser surgery to do it, so I booked her to have the 2 claws removed, she is going in tomorrow for it.

I am really upset and scared for my kitty but I just don't want her to feel pain anymore! :(

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
emmy526
by Felion on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM

WOW, she looks just like my cat, even down to the white hairs on the chest

catcameback
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

well then you have a very gorgeous cat ;)

Quoting emmy526:

strictmomhere
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Pretty kitty hope she heals fast:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teapartydiva524
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM

She looks like mine too! lol. She's beautiful.  I hope things go smoothly tomorrow.  I'm so happy your getting the problem fixed.  It's hard when our pets are sick or hurting.  Keep us posted :)

Pixers
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I am against declawing, but you are doing the right thing for your kitty.  As much as I am anti-declawing I would do the same thing for my cats if they had issues with claws too.  But not a full declaw like the first vet suggested.. UGH .. I would just have the ones causing issues removed.  

and btw if she wasn't on my lap I would have asked you how you snuck in and got my kitty from my house LOL.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

mine thinks she is a dog, plays fetch, rolls over, and begs

Quoting catcameback:

well then you have a very gorgeous cat ;)

Quoting emmy526:

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Poor kitty.  Best of luck.  It sounds like you and the doctor are working in her best interests.

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Is this likely to happen with all the claws over time? If so maybe a full declaw would be best to get it all over with.
catcameback
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:47 AM

The 1st vet said to get them out as a preventative measure, the 2nd vet said to do what another poster here suggested, keep them trimmed very short and gently pull the sheaths out myself frequently.  A lot more work, but who cares?  I hate the thought of removing body parts *shudder*.  But it's just 2 and she will be healthier, I definately don't want an infection or her to be in pain.

A few posters said she looks like their cat lol.

Quoting Pixers:

I am against declawing, but you are doing the right thing for your kitty.  As much as I am anti-declawing I would do the same thing for my cats if they had issues with claws too.  But not a full declaw like the first vet suggested.. UGH .. I would just have the ones causing issues removed.  

and btw if she wasn't on my lap I would have asked you how you snuck in and got my kitty from my house LOL.  

catcameback
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM

It's possible, but the 2nd vet suggested I declaw the 2 that are ingrown and gave me instructions for different grooming habits for her.  I need to clip her nails more frequently, shorter and gently pull the sheaths out myself.  He said they should be ok if I do that and booked an appointment in 8 weeks to check on them.

Quoting TheSilence: Is this likely to happen with all the claws over time? If so maybe a full declaw would be best to get it all over with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN