Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

flu

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

My babysitter just called to tell me her son was diagnosed with the flu.  She watches my 15 month old (who has had the flu shot) - she just wanted to let me know but that I don't need to come get my baby or keep him home tomorrow.......   um, no.

But now I'm freaked out...  the flu shot isn't a guarantee that he won't get it, right?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Flu shot is not 100%, no.  There are others here who believe flu shots are worthless.  I'm of the mind that they work but only against certain strains.

ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM

No it isn't. People with the shot are getting the flu.

.PinkHart.
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Nope the flu shot is no guarantee. If he was diagnosed already, your son as already been exposed anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:25 PM

So maybe I should just let him stay with her - so he doesn't accidentally expose whoever I'd find to watch him tomorrow?  My son isn't showing any symptoms of it, her son has been home all week so far but we thought it was just a bad cough and cold.

Quoting .PinkHart.: Nope the flu shot is no guarantee. If he was diagnosed already, your son as already been exposed anyway.

Leissaintexas
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:27 PM
There are no guarantees . He could still get it.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Uh right
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
He's already been exposed. At this point, he either has it or he doesn't. Don't freak out. Just work on boosting his immune system.

Hope he stays healthy though. :)
iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:31 PM

He could still get it.. but honestly if her son was just diagnosed... your kid has already been exposed makes no point to take him/her away from the sitter now.. just ask her to keep you informed if your child develops symptoms :) 

-:Logan Jacob:--:December 1st 2007:--:7 Pounds 4 Ounces:- -:My Everything:- 

-:Baby #2 is on the way:-

baby development

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM
I had the flu and dh had the flu a month ago. My kids all had the flu shot and all 3 kids never got sick from us. No i don't think it is 100% but i would say that it is up to you. Just know that he might not get sick but can still get others sick if he has been in contact with someone who has been sick.
I actually think that i either got the flu from my sd..she never got sick but she is the only one who goes to school. That or i got it from my kids when they had the nasal form from the doctors. Who knows..it was not fun. Never been so sick in my life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM

He was diagnosed today - but apparently he has had it for a couple of days because he wasn't able to get Tamiflu (has to be administered within 48-72 hours of symptoms)... 

Quoting iHEAVENn:

He could still get it.. but honestly if her son was just diagnosed... your kid has already been exposed makes no point to take him/her away from the sitter now.. just ask her to keep you informed if your child develops symptoms :) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)