Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of creatively spelled names?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM
  • 363 Replies
3 moms liked this

Why Creatively Spelled Baby Names Are the Worst

by Adriana Velez

jessicaCan we talk about the names some of you are giving your children? Look, it's your business what you name your kid. I'll say that here in the first paragraph, and you know someone is going to leave a comment below saying, "What I name my kid is none of your damn business!" anyway. Of course it's YOUR business! Obviously. I get that. But since it's my job to opine, I'll give you a piece of my mind. My biggest baby name pet peeve is the creatively spelled name.

I'm not talking unusual names or names derived from other cultures. And I don't mean names with a slightly unusual spelling. I mean names we're all familiar with, only the parents have gone balls-out, far out of their way to create the most unique, surprising spelling of that familiar name possible. I'm talking Germy, Cerah, Phredy, Olyvya. You get the picture. Why you doing your kids like that?

There's just no dignity to these name spellings. A baby's name doesn't have to be super serious, but it should have a little gravitas, enough so your child doesn't contemplate legally changing their name when they become adults because they're sick of that suppressed smirk they get every time they spell their name out loud.

Your kids are going to have to repeat the spelling of their names out loud to people who are not expecting such an eccentric sequence of letters. It's going to get old, fast. They'll start to wonder, why didn't Mommy just name me Jessica instead of Jessieighkah?

Here's the other thing, and it's going to make people uncomfortable, but let's go there. It's kind of trashy. We like to pretend that doesn't matter, and sure, there are plenty of otherwise together people naming their sons Byntliegh and the like. But it's aspirational in all the wrong ways. You think creatively, but you can't be bothered to look up the historical roots of your child's name and maybe go with an older spelling instead of your weird new-fangled spelling, for example.

And here's the thing: Parents who deploy the creative name spellings aren't even that original. How do you explain the disproportionate fondness for the letters Y and Z? What's the deal, parents of Jazzmynn? Why do you ALL seem to love those letters in particular so much?

Seriously, what is the thinking behind these names? Why and wherefore art thou, parents?

In sum, I think you should do better by your child. I commend your attempt at originality. Really, I do. But come on. Give your child the name he or she truly deserves.

What do you think of creatively spelled names?

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chris030406
by anonsneednotreply on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM
9 moms liked this
Is that supposed to be 'Jessica?'

Omg....

I think parents try too hard to be creative, when they're actually just making things difficult for their children. The kid is the one who gets to spend a lifetime correcting people, afterall.
Bubbie0809
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM
5 moms liked this
I love original names, but not creative spellings
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:13 AM
12 moms liked this
Hate them. I am a teacher and do not have the time to read and try to figure them out. I would have an easier time reading hieroglyphics. .
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM
2 moms liked this
It depends on how creative. I've seen some really bad ones.
TB78
by Tasha on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Ewwww Germy!! Poor kid who gets that name will be teased forever :-(
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
16 moms liked this
I think they make the parent look illiterate...
bcoll
by Brandi on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM
19 moms liked this

Cultural and uncommon names I find beautiful and interesting. Creative ways to spell common names? Not so much.

Mazi184
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM
5 moms liked this
Crazy spellings of common names are just silly to me. If you want your kid to have a unique name then give them one. Spelling Olivia, Olyvya isn't going to make the name special or different. The parents just look illiterate, and the child suffers.

And this is coming from someone who gave ds a "different, uncommon" name.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM
15 moms liked this

It makes the parents look illiterate, and quite frankly, dumb.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM
11 moms liked this

I hate them, just like most normal people. I think the intent is to give their children a unique name, but what they don't realize is that spelling it wrong won't do that. If you spell your daughter's name Jessieighkah, and another little girl in the class is named Jessica, they will both respond when the teacher says the name out loud. How is that making them stand out? It's not. All it's doing is making every person they ever meet roll their eyes when they spell their name. And having to do that is going to drive your child crazy by the time they're 18.

My daughter has a little girl in her class named Kehnydeigh. Another little girl in the class has parents with brains, so they spelled her name Kennedy. My daughter said the first child in question has started spelling her name like the second child in question - because she can't spell her own, and "the other way is easier". When a 7 year old can't spell their own name...something is wrong with that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)