Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Chances are, you'd probably have a difficult time dealing with this

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

The post about only being able to grab one thing in a fire got me thinking.  How prepared are you?  A lot of people said they would grab a thing of pictures.  If that is something important to you, where do you have them located?  Do you have evacuation routes planned for your family?  Does everyone know what to do?  Do you have your important items that you need to grab in an easily accessable place?  You'll have a hard time getting that box of pictures out if you've got them up in the attic.

I offer up to you a challenge to guage how you would handl an emergency.  You've got a natural disaster predicted for your area.  Pick one that fits.  Snow storm, hurricane, tornado, earthquake, etc.

Here are the rules:

• You have 15 minutes to evacuate your house.  You don't know if your house will be destroyed, so plan accordingly.  You need to follow your evacuation plans to get everyone out of town.  That includes a meetup place if everyone isn't at home when you evacuate.
  • The only food/water you have available is what you have in your 72 hour food kits.
  • When you are able to get back to your house, you find it is destroyed.  You need a list of your valuables to submit to your insurance company.

So, how would you have fared?  Or would you have been screwed?  I know I would have been screwed.  I've been meaning to get my emergency kit built up, but just haven't gotten around to it.  I've got my emergency binder, but not much else.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:56 AM

BUMP!

cmmember
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Id be screwed , but Id still have my family :)

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:01 PM
We would fare pretty well but we live on the gulf coast so we stay pretty prepared. My answer on the other post was not photos like many, it was my purse. The reason being that cards & money would be needed immediately & a pain to replace. Any photos that are special have probably been given to many people & posted online so I could get more photos made later. We also keep important documents like car titles & deeds to the houses in a fire proof box so I would think they would be fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM

The photos comments on the other post got me thinking.  I told DH I would like to try and get a small external hard drive like he has on his desk to keep in the emergency binder.  It would contain pictures that we want, or other files that we want to keep (maybe his school work).  That way, when I grab the emergency binder, we have that stuff too.

The emergency binder has all important paperwork, copies of our credit/debit cards, emergency cash, and some other stuff.  The checklist I got had a sheet for passwords for various internet accounts, but DH put the kybosh on that one.  He says the binder makes him nervous because if anyone ever got ahold of it, they could easily steal our identities.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: We would fare pretty well but we live on the gulf coast so we stay pretty prepared. My answer on the other post was not photos like many, it was my purse. The reason being that cards & money would be needed immediately & a pain to replace. Any photos that are special have probably been given to many people & posted online so I could get more photos made later. We also keep important documents like car titles & deeds to the houses in a fire proof box so I would think they would be fine.

bluebunnybabe
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM
You can keep it in a safe deposit box at the bank for maybe $20 a year if it's not anything you need on a regular basis. Or you can get a fire proof safe & bolt it down.

Quoting Anonymous:

The photos comments on the other post got me thinking.  I told DH I would like to try and get a small external hard drive like he has on his desk to keep in the emergency binder.  It would contain pictures that we want, or other files that we want to keep (maybe his school work).  That way, when I grab the emergency binder, we have that stuff too.

The emergency binder has all important paperwork, copies of our credit/debit cards, emergency cash, and some other stuff.  The checklist I got had a sheet for passwords for various internet accounts, but DH put the kybosh on that one.  He says the binder makes him nervous because if anyone ever got ahold of it, they could easily steal our identities.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: We would fare pretty well but we live on the gulf coast so we stay pretty prepared. My answer on the other post was not photos like many, it was my purse. The reason being that cards & money would be needed immediately & a pain to replace. Any photos that are special have probably been given to many people & posted online so I could get more photos made later. We also keep important documents like car titles & deeds to the houses in a fire proof box so I would think they would be fine.

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM

we'd be fine.

everything we need to rebuild our life is in a lockbox which also contains bonds and some gold we could exchange if needed to pay for a hotel or whatever.

also contained is a list of valuables in the home, as backed by our homeowner's insurance.

Important photos are stored on the cloud, so no losses to important memories or anything.

AVE SATANAS!
steph0420
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Yep. And that's all that matters

Quoting cmmember:

Id be screwed , but Id still have my family :)

tiarra7022
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I would be able to get out with the couple things I would need. My cousin receantly lost her house and it got me on top of being prepared. Of course it only works if im home when it happens. I have spent weeks getting our small file box up to date with only the things I would really need. It is light weight and able to grab. I also keep out diaper bag packed super full and in my car. Also keep a bag with a couple outfits in my car for my kids. This can help for lots of things. My kids know how to get out and where to go. We practice with them and they know not to wait for us. This was hard to teach them since they were scared of our alarm and just wanted us but now they are good. I keep shoes right my the door that would be easy for them to slip on or grab as they go. As far as list for insurance im still working on one. We are also planning on getting a box at our bank to put the super important documents there along with our list and pictures of the whole house. I have all my pictures backed up online so i wont ever lose them if something happened and to be honest I wouldnt care if I did. More important things like my kids to get out

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Navy Fed doesn't offer safe deposit boxes.  I'll have to check with DH if Marine Fed does.  Even so, in an emergency where we have to skip town, it would make it kinda difficult to grab that stuff.

Quoting bluebunnybabe: You can keep it in a safe deposit box at the bank for maybe $20 a year if it's not anything you need on a regular basis. Or you can get a fire proof safe & bolt it down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)