Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stop!!!!! **vent!**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son is 21 months old but due to delays he is more like a 7 month old.

My husband and his family keep pushing their interests on him. Star Wars, Barman, TMNT, video games, my little pony....
At first, it wasn't a big deal but now it's getting crazy.

They keep buying him toys and games that are these licensed characters. MIL bought him a batman video game. They want him to be dressed in Barman and Star Wars attire. They are pushing their interests onto him.

I told my husband this needs to slow down, let him figure what he likes. I mentioned we could instead get him "generic" toys. Like instead of Star Wars stuff, get him a space ship and an astronaut. Instead of MLP, get him some farm toys. He just brushed it off as no big deal. Ds can't talk yet so he can't tell them to stop.

I want my baby to stay a baby not a teenager all ready!

Has anyone gone through this?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:43 PM
Bump
steph0420
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Mil forced pink and princess everything on sd and now she hates them both
Rebecca7708
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM
I really don't see why it's a big deal. He probably doesn't even understand what it is anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM
4 moms liked this

your baby has left the womb, and I think they generally cut the cord before you leave the hospital.  there is no harm in giving your child brand-specific toys, he doesn't know the difference between them and the generic farm animals you're suggesting.

when he gets of an age where he has an opinion, he will let it be known in what he chooses to play with and what gets left behind.  you are making a mountain out of an anthill and overreacting in true first-time-parent fashion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM
That's your biggest family problem? Let it go if he doesn't like it as he grows he can not play with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM
I'm afraid that's what will happen with my family. They LOVE this stuff and if ds ended up hating it, they will freak out. I would be fine if he likes it or not but Dh and his family are crazy for this stuff.

Quoting steph0420: Mil forced pink and princess everything on sd and now she hates them both
Krysta784
by Dani on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Umm no, I can't see why it's a big deal....

I exposed my kids to all kinds of licensed characters from babyhood and they have each picked favorites and sometimes they change.

It's part of growing up to find out what you like but if you're never exposed to ANYTHING, you'll never know what you like.

Pick your battles. Seriously, licensed character toys and clothing are the least of your worries.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Im just scared this is all he is going to know since they push it so much.

Quoting Anonymous:

your baby has left the womb, and I think they generally cut the cord before you leave the hospital.  there is no harm in giving your child brand-specific toys, he doesn't know the difference between them and the generic farm animals you're suggesting.

when he gets of an age where he has an opinion, he will let it be known in what he chooses to play with and what gets left behind.  you are making a mountain out of an anthill and overreacting in true first-time-parent fashion.

steph0420
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM
Store away the stuff he's not old enough for and just give him options, so it's not the only thing he has.

Quoting Anonymous: I'm afraid that's what will happen with my family. They LOVE this stuff and if ds ended up hating it, they will freak out. I would be fine if he likes it or not but Dh and his family are crazy for this stuff.

Quoting steph0420: Mil forced pink and princess everything on sd and now she hates them both
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN