Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

22yr old and dont drive!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 35 Replies
To start off I'm 22, and I've only drove maybe a hand full of times on back roads, never on a actually highway. I don't know why but as a teen I started to have like panic attacks just sitting behind the wheel, started to feel unsure or even scared, I know it sounds silly or even abit childish. I want to get my license, and be confident driving specially while having my son in the vehicle. I would just like to see what your view is on this/or advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kimbyann
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM
There are at least 5 of us on cafemom in our 20s with no license due to fear. Youre not alone. Im seeing a therapist to help
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM
Its OK, I turn 28 soon and I don't have my license.
copperked
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I would rather have someone not be a driver because they are responsible enough to acknowledge their fear and realize theyre not suitable to be a good driver at this time (not saying you can't overcome your fear, but talking about now), than have someone have a panic attack on the road and cause a wreck. I respect your decision to not drive while you are working on this issue and thank you for being responsible about it.
catcameback
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I'm 33 and you have driven mor than me.  It's not a big deal to me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Im 32 and just got my lic. For the second time 6mnths ago. The first time I was 24 and never drove. Only to get my lic. Now I drive everywhere. After you get tired of having to rely on people to get you places and want independence youll buck it upn and just do it. Good luck
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Its not that I don't have my License, its that I don't drive, and/or get scared to drive. It just bothers me because I would love to take my child around, to parks, and etc. While my SO is at work instead of being at home to afraid to drive. I want to get over this anxiety/panic attacks/fear not just for me but for my son. At times I even laugh at myself, lol afraid to drive, now that's funny.
AustinRonMommy
by Nickhole on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I was 24yrs old and had 2 kids before i got mine. I'll be 28 this June. Im glad i got it though.
handy0318
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM

My sis was about 23 or 24 before she finally got her driver's licence. She had a bad experience during driver's training that caused so much anxiety that she simply couldn't drive. But, once her ds had an accident and she lived far enough out in the country it got her to thinking, what would happen if either of the kids needed to be rushed to the ER? That was enough to encourage her to over come her anxiety and she finally learned to drive and got her driver's licence. Now she drives all over the place.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I am seeking professional help, I drove a lot, I had my permit for 5 years. Just now have I developed some issues. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:35 PM

My dh and ds don't drive.

You are not alone.

In some cases, it's an Asperger's thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)