Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I Wonder If This Is REALLY A Good Idea...

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM
  • 13 Replies
1 mom liked this

When I started pre-k, I was already pretty advanced for my age. I knew my numbers, letters, colors, shapes, how to read and write my name and other names familiar to me ect. Because I was advanced, I had to deal with teachers being frustrated with me, kids thinking I was a know-it-all, and sheer boredom because the other kids were not catching on quickly and I wanted to learn something new. I was not challenged and my teachers just expected me to just be like the other kids so that they wouldn't have to do anything special with me. I struggled with this throughout most of Elementary school.

I'm adopting my cousin, and, since he will be starting pre-k next year, I have started working with him on his ABC's but I am wondering if it is really a good idea. I work in daycare and, when I finish my degree, I will be a teacher, and I know how to delight in a child's intelligence and nurture it so that it flourishes, but most teachers do not. Many parents like to give their kids a leg up before they start school but I really wonder if it is worth it for them to be bored and frustrated for the first several years of their education. They are going to learn the same things when they start school. Some schools have advanced classes but not all of them. Maybe I should just save him the frustration I went through.

So what do you think? Opinions?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I think we should always teach our children and encourage them to learn. I think that just having fun with it will do and there is no need for a rigid lesson plan.

Cowgirl_Coyote
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM

That's what I always thought. I was encouraged to love learning but my teachers made me feel badly for being advanced. By the way, I love your avi. Betty White is awesome!

Quoting thenameshailie:

I think we should always teach our children and encourage them to learn. I think that just having fun with it will do and there is no need for a rigid lesson plan.

CafeMom Tickers
jglasser7682
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I think he should at least be able to count 20 as well as be able to recite the alphabet.

At the end of the pre-k year he should also be able to recognize numbers and letters.

My youngest DS is in Kindergarten and that is what they were working on in the first 9 weeks of school. If the child doesn't know any of this what so ever entering into Kindergarten, it is going to be very difficult for that child.

ETA* Oh and he should also work on spelling his name and recognizing the colors.

ilovemykids323
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:53 PM

i dont think there is anything wrong with you teaching him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:54 PM

I think the kid will be behind if he is not worked with at home.

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I ♥ Betty. Did you know her 92nd birthday was on the 17th? And she doesnt look a day over 80.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

That's what I always thought. I was encouraged to love learning but my teachers made me feel badly for being advanced. By the way, I love your avi. Betty White is awesome!

Quoting thenameshailie:

BeAmour
by Tonya on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:56 PM
"and I wanted to learn something knew."

I'm thinking you may want to fix this, especially when saying how advanced you were in grade school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM
Haha, collars. Real advanced!
Cowgirl_Coyote
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM

She still looks great. She's hilarious!

Quoting thenameshailie:

I ♥ Betty. Did you know her 92nd birthday was on the 17th? And she doesnt look a day over 80.

Quoting Cowgirl_Coyote:

Quoting thenameshailie:

CafeMom Tickers
nb34
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:19 PM

You know I've been dealing with the same thing. DS was ahead in kindergarten academically but not socially. In first grade he caught up socially, and was way ahead academically too, but his teacher was not very interested in helping him out move ahead. Now in second grade he is still ahead academically but he has a teacher who cares and wants him to move ahead. So I think holding kids back is not cool. This is a highly competitive world we live in. Maybe you can be pushy and make sure he gets what he needs at school. Push for gifted program and extra curricular activities, but don't hold him back.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)