Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you supposed to wear black to a funeral?

Posted by   + Show Post
My grandma's funeral is tomorrow and I don't really have anything black to wear that is nice-looking and warm. How important is it really that you wear black to a funeral? Is it a big deal?
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:15 AM

I've lived mainly in the West, California, Arizona, Idaho...and people tend to wear whatever. I've always made sure that my kids wear nice clothes, but not necessarily black. And, here in Idaho, "nice clothes" tends to mean dark wash jeans, button down shirt and good cowboy boots.

When I was in North Carolina though, my two roommates went to a funeral and they both wore black.

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:17 AM

for my last funeral, I went right from a meeting at work...had on black slacks and a nice red top (it has significance...). Changed into an Eagles jersey for the luncheon after. 

Trini
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:21 AM

It depends ... When my dh grandmother died everyone in the immediate family and close friends wore pink.

1RockNRollBand
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:28 AM

I always wear all black to a funeral to show mourning. I don't want to draw any attention to myself. Also, I want to be respectful to the person who has passed away and their family.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I have worn a dark purple in the past.  The funerals and memorials I attended understood if someone did not have actual black attire.  At my g-grandmothers funeral, her best friend actually wore a salmon colored suit which eerily was similar to the one she had on in the coffin.

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:38 AM
Mostly its just darker colors Now. I wore black to one a few years ago and was the only one in black.
GigantaursMommy
by MrsAwesomePants on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:42 AM

It just needs to be a dark muted color, black is preferable

CocoaKisses70
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, most people wear something dark colored. When my mom passed we did a celebration of her life at her memorial. Prior to her passing she made it very clear that she didn't want anyone wearing black or dark colors. She wanted us all to wear bright pastels to celebrate her life. It looked like Easter! It was wonderful and not sad at all. At the end of the service we did a balloon release.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:46 AM

Purple is actually a funeral color too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:47 AM
I sorry. My grandma's funeral was today. I don't have any black clothes
I was the only one wearing bright colored shirt and jeans.. Very awkward. I felt very out of place.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN