Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

We don't condone coupon fraud.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

This is what I was told tonight when I went out to shop. Yes, I coupon. Do I follow the rules of the coupon? By the damn book I do! That's why I have to do so many transactions!

I go to this store all the time, and all the cashiers out there know me. Several of them love it when I come through, because we will try to guess how low my total is going to be ( even though I have figured out, the cashiers always like to make a bet that I missed something, and it might be lower, or a bit higher ). I have had issues with cashiers in the past that would get mad because of my coupons, and refuse to take them, but when a manager came by, they changed their attitudes quickly.

I had a good sized cart full of items that I needed. I got up to the registers, and didn't even really look to see whose line I got in. I just got in the shortest one ( hell I was tired! lol ). I got the majority of my stuff on the belt, and looked up to say hello to the cashier. She was already on her phone at the register, and not long after some man came up, and was giving me the Evil Eye. I said hello to both of them, and the Evil Eye dude asked to see my coupons. I showed my binder to him, and explained that I had a couple different transactions, that way I would be able to use all the coupons, but still be able to abide by the 4-per-transaction limit that each one had on it. He slammed my binder shut, dropped it in my now empty cart, and told me that they weren't going to be able to do any of my orders! I asked why, and told them that I have never had an issue with my coupons, and that they were for legit items that I had, and showed him a couple of them ( I had some Pantene with some $1 off one coupons, and some $1.50 off Reach toothbrushes , and I had regular Reach toothbrushes! ). He refused to look at them, and told me flat out to my face that :

I'm sorry, but we do NOT * he emphasized that word * condone coupon fraud. You can purchase the items, but you will not be allowed to  use your coupons. It is too many, even with separate transactions.

He stood there looking at me like I was a purple headed, yellow striped, pink polka dotted dino! He got called away a few seconds later, and the cashier looked at me with the most hateful  look, and said :

Oh wow.....you'll actually have to pay full price for something!!!! Such a shock, isn't it?!

I simply picked up my binder, put the coupons back in it that I had shown the dickheaded manager, turned to the cashier, and said in the sweetest, sappiest voice that I could muster :

No....what is such a shock is going to be people watching you actually working, because guess what? You're going to have so much fun putting all this stuff back on the shelves.

And I walked out, Without my stuff. Because, apparently, using coupons the way they are supposed to be use, is now considered coupon fraud. I still can't understand it.....I go to this store all the freaking time, and have never had an issue!!!! I have even called ahead a couple times, and spoke with a manager because I had so many coupons. I was told that as long as I abide by the coupon and the stores coupon policy, I will be fine. And now this......

What would you have done?

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:23 AM
Replies (41-50):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM

*hangs head in shame* Yes we do, plus deo, razors and anything else we can get our stickies on!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

See?! We DO need 80 bottles of shampoo!

Quoting littlesippycup:

Awww that's super sweet.

Quoting Chrissy_Lynn: Most people who do that stock pile stuff donate alot of it, I know I do.

I got 4 free things of laundry detergent along with 2 I only paid $2 each for when they were originally $4.50. I only kept 2. I gave 2 to my parents and 2 to my sisters.

Ive donated alot of food , shampoo, conditioner, diapers, etc. To our local food bank.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Good. You don't NEED 80 bottles of shampoo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:59 AM

The last time I got deoderant, the store PAID ME $13!!!! lol

Quoting littlesippycup:

*hangs head in shame* Yes we do, plus deo, razors and anything else we can get our stickies on!!!!

Quoting Anonymous:

See?! We DO need 80 bottles of shampoo!

Quoting littlesippycup:

Awww that's super sweet.

Quoting Chrissy_Lynn: Most people who do that stock pile stuff donate alot of it, I know I do.

I got 4 free things of laundry detergent along with 2 I only paid $2 each for when they were originally $4.50. I only kept 2. I gave 2 to my parents and 2 to my sisters.

Ive donated alot of food , shampoo, conditioner, diapers, etc. To our local food bank.

Quoting littlesippycup:

Good. You don't NEED 80 bottles of shampoo.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:59 AM
Wow there was no need for them to trewt you that way. I would call corporate. Did you get their names?

When I used to coupon, I totally would go to certain cashiers.
You should print out the coupon policy for each store and keep it in your binder. I think krazycouponlady.com has links to several store's policies.
jjknue
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:00 AM
In a way its like discrimination. They didn't address you in a friendly manner or listen to you. They didn't even let you use your coupons nor rang any of th ben in before hand to say hey wrong items. I understand you were upset at the time bit maybe tomorrow make a call and complain about the meat head who thinks he is above couponers!

Quoting Anonymous:

I was so pissed off that I was just ready to get out and leave as soon as possible. I could understand if I had coupons for some toothbrushes, and was trying to get floss with them, or coupons for some tampons, and was trying to get pads, but if the dude had just looked at them, he would have seen everything I had in my cart, I had legit coupons for!

Quoting jjknue: Oh so he is pretty dumb because he didn't even look at your coupons. You should complain to someone.

Quoting Anonymous:

Coupon fraud is when you use a coupon meant for one item, for another similar item.

Example: you have a coupon for $1 off Pillsbury Cresent rolls, but they aren't on sale. However.....Pillsbury biscuits ARE on sale. Because they are the same brand, the cashier wouldn't really notice ( if they aren't paying attention ). The biscuits are on sale for .50 cents a can, which gives you a .50 cent overage if you use the $1 off coupons. THAT is coupon fraud.

Quoting jjknue: My question is how is there coupon fraud? If the cashier is ringing in the items then they know how they work right? These people are so petty and was he a manager there?

opal10161973
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:01 AM
1 mom liked this

That is why you always check the store policy on how to use coupons and print out a copy if they change before you go.  Really?  Know before you go.  If you have a copy, then they CANNOT dispute it and if they even think to try, then you notify corporate.  You are following their own damn policy, and if they don't want to, then they get their asses reamed out by corporate.  I call that a WIN!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:02 AM

What I do is perfectly legal, and it saves me a ton of money. Am I going to continue to do it? Yep! Will I ever stop? Maybe.....I don't know.

And if you would take the time out one day, to go shopping with a couponer, you would  understand why we do it, and I can almost promise that you would start doing it too.

Quoting lalaboosh: I'm glad they're cracking down. I'm also glad you can't pull crap like that where I shop.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:05 AM

I DO have the policy in my binder. I couldn't get to it because he had it in the big part of my cart, and he was in front of my cart, holding onto it, and I was at the other end ( where your kiddo sits ). I couldn't back up because there were a couple other people behind me.

Quoting opal10161973:

That is why you always check the store policy on how to use coupons and print out a copy if they change before you go.  Really?  Know before you go.  If you have a copy, then they CANNOT dispute it and if they even think to try, then you notify corporate.  You are following their own damn policy, and if they don't want to, then they get their asses reamed out by corporate.  I call that a WIN!

opal10161973
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be calling corporate for that shit in a freaking heartbeat.  Unacceptable as hell!

Quoting Anonymous:

I DO have the policy in my binder. I couldn't get to it because he had it in the big part of my cart, and he was in front of my cart, holding onto it, and I was at the other end ( where your kiddo sits ). I couldn't back up because there were a couple other people behind me.

Quoting opal10161973:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:12 AM
  • I would of walked out too.  What jerks!!  
Flobrooks
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

If there is a limit on the number of items a person can buy with a coupon, it IS fraud to have the cashier ring up bunches of items as separate orders in order to use the coupon. It is also fraud to bring all your little snotnose kids to ring up the items as separate orders for the seven and four year olds.  It is also fraud for the fat old grandmas to bring ten kids to the back to school sales where they can get 5 notebooks for 10 cents and 10 pencils for a penny. You know when the ad says limit 5 or limit 10, it does not mean one person go in and purchase 50 notebooks and a hundred pencils and stand there and have the cashier ring up 10 seperate orders for 60 cents.

Quoting Anonymous:

Isnt that why you should bring extra people with you for the transactions?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)