Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Control your freaking kids!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Tonight we went to a buffet for dinner. I expected it to be busy being a Friday night, so it was no surprise it was a little crowded. Not too bad though.

First incident: I was standing in line waiting to get my drink while SO took DS to find a table. All of a sudden, I get bumped kinda hard from behind. So I look to see who bumped me and a kid, around 7 or so, is walking away looking at me like he's waiting for me to apologize to him. When did it become ok to not teach our children manners? I bite my tongue and don't say anything. Just brush it off as poor parenting.

Second incident: DS and I are sitting alone at the table. I'm trying to feed him when a little girl comes up. She's maybe 3. She belongs to the family 2 tables behind me. She says hi to him and talks to him a little. Her family also has a baby, so at first its kinda cute. Then she leans in close to his face, looks at me, then coughs into her elbow. I think good her parents taught her some hygiene. She does this a couple more times as I'm trying to feed him. Then she leans into his face and tries to kiss him. I gently ask her not to get in his face. Shortly after she runs off, while I look around for her parents. They were sitting at the table the whole time. Didn't move to collect her. Nothing. Are there really parents that think this is ok? I don't want any stranger in my kids face, especially not your germy child.

What would you mamas have done? Would these things have annoyed you too? Do you ever wonder if people are ever actually teaching their kids anything these days?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Okie-chick
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I would have tripped the first brat. Second I would have told her that we're trying to eat,go sit with your mommy and daddy.
ChewyBrownies
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:50 AM
Ds doesn't leave that table without me.

I would've told her to sit with her parents. That's how kids get hurt or kidnapped.

A restaurant is not a playground
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:54 AM

I would have said something to both kids. I'm mean.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:54 AM
That's exactly how I was raised. You don't leave the table without permission, you don't run through restaurants screaming like a banshee, and you don't act like a heathen.

And that's basically what I told SO afterwards. Those parents just let her run around and do her thing. They don't know who I am. I could have been a bad person for all they know.

Quoting ChewyBrownies: Ds doesn't leave that table without me.

I would've told her to sit with her parents. That's how kids get hurt or kidnapped.

A restaurant is not a playground
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:55 AM

I would have said " EXCUSE YOU LITTLE RUDE BOY"  in a really really loud voice.

For the little girl...I would have said "EXCUSE ME CAN SOMEONE CALL 911, THIS LITTLE GIRL IS LOST AND NEEDS ASSISTANCE"......again in a really really loud voice

BelleVernonGirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 3:00 AM
1 mom liked this

After work tonight me and my kids went to a local rest (Eat n Park for all you western PA'ers)  It's like Denny's so lots of kids hang out there.  Well there had been a Jr High dance tonight so it was PACKED with some of the rudest kids I ever saw.  Their mothers had taken up a table in the front and the kids were just wondering ALL OVER the place!  Our waitress was so frustrated...they made huge messes and didn't tip...and the moms just sat and sipped coffee...

SMH....

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2014 at 3:09 AM
The rule is you don't leave the table in a restaurant. I cannot stand parents who allow their kids to wander, climb under the table, etc.
I remember being out to eat with my girls when my oldest was 3. There was another family a few tables away with a child about my daughters age. The kid was running wild and would not stay seated. My daughter however sat quietly eating in her booster seat.
The mom walked up as they were leaving and asked how on earth I had gotten my daughter to sit so well behaved so young.
My reply "I don't let her out of the seat for any reason other than a bathroom trip or to leave. "

Why do parents let kids that are young walk over them?
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 3:09 AM
Yeah, DD does not leave the table or get up while we are eating. Unless, of course, I am taking her to the restroom.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 25, 2014 at 3:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly! You behave in public or we leave and you don't get to do that special thing again. My son is 1 but even he is better behaved then some kids his age. He hardly ever throws fits or tries to get out of his high chair. He sits and eats his food. When he's done, we give him something to play with to entertain him until we're done. I don't understand why parents don't have higher expectations for their kids...

Quoting Anonymous: The rule is you don't leave the table in a restaurant. I cannot stand parents who allow their kids to wander, climb under the table, etc.

I remember being out to eat with my girls when my oldest was 3. There was another family a few tables away with a child about my daughters age. The kid was running wild and would not stay seated. My daughter however sat quietly eating in her booster seat.

The mom walked up as they were leaving and asked how on earth I had gotten my daughter to sit so well behaved so young.

My reply "I don't let her out of the seat for any reason other than a bathroom trip or to leave. "

Why do parents let kids that are young walk over them?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 25, 2014 at 3:18 AM
1 mom liked this
When we go out to eat I have small toys and crayons and coloring pages. With my daughters now 5 and 3, they know they must stay in their seats or we leave.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)