Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms who grow your own veggies, care to help me out?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM
  • 21 Replies
i want to start growing some of our own veggies this spring and summer but i have a few big problems....1...i have never done this and have no idea where to start or what grows in our area or when to plant...2 space is extremely limited...we live in an apartment on the 2nd floor. i have a nice size patio that will easily fit about six 5 gallon buckets...i have no idea what will grow well in those since there isnt alot of room for the veggies to grow and spread out. i know i wont be able to feed my family from this but i think it would be neat to grow some of our own veggies and the kids would probably have alot of fun with it too. oh and we live in north alabama..huntsville area
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
colins_mom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM
Try tomatos, peppers, beans etc. for those you can get a small lattice to put in your pots or behind them for the plants to attach themselves to. Cherry tomatos are good too. You can go to a gardening store and ask for help as well. Try to get baby plants vs seeds to start.
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:45 PM
baby plants huh. good to know! i was thinking tomato for sure but wasnt sure what else! thank you!

Quoting colins_mom: Try tomatos, peppers, beans etc. for those you can get a small lattice to put in your pots or behind them for the plants to attach themselves to. Cherry tomatos are good too. You can go to a gardening store and ask for help as well. Try to get baby plants vs seeds to start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Fablous sites on youtube I love grow your greens guy :)  DFarmers almanac  organic is best but more work .

Department of aquariculture for chartsso forth go tothe book store by boo kstart small  Need any info  contact me the garden fairy :)

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I grew these :)

BKozICan
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I used to do to oatoes, peppers, and eggplant in 5 gal buckets, lined up along the back of the house. They were on the West side (most summer sun).

RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM

We started last year and peppers and tomatoes did the best and grow well in containers

I personally think it's more fun to start from seeds, which means in the next few weeks really.... we started a few seed trays yesterday, but we have a Sun room just incase the cold lasts longer than expected....

It should be pretty easy to Google planting times for your area... start seeds 6 weeks before the last frost....

Our site until after the Friday and buy baby plants to pot....

Our potted eggplant did really well too...

I'm also doing a pretty good sized indoor garden this year chives, basil, sage, oregano, parsley, thyme.... lots of herbs... don't require as much Sun either....

Cilantro does great with less Sun.... 

RazzleMySpazz
by spaztastic on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM

This is our window garden as of t yesterday.... we used milk jugs, because I like reusing things and the kids get to color on them.... lol and the lightbulb might not work, but I'm excited to see if they will! Lol

Binkys_Buttons
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Google container gardening. You need to put bug rocks in the bottom if the buckets and drill a few holes for water. Tomatoes and cukes do well, green beans one bush per pot. Herbs do well is shorter pots. Strawberrys are good too. They can be hung. I'm a pro patio gardener.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:17 PM
that is so awesome! thank you for all your helpful info!

Quoting RazzleMySpazz:

This is our window garden as of t yesterday.... we used milk jugs, because I like reusing things and the kids get to color on them.... lol and the lightbulb might not work, but I'm excited to see if they will! Lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 5:18 PM
bug rocks...never heard of them but will put it on the list. i figured i was gonna have to get my SO to drill some holes in the bottom

Quoting Binkys_Buttons: Google container gardening. You need to put bug rocks in the bottom if the buckets and drill a few holes for water. Tomatoes and cukes do well, green beans one bush per pot. Herbs do well is shorter pots. Strawberrys are good too. They can be hung. I'm a pro patio gardener.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)