Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

ive never thrown my kids a bday party..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
My kids are turning 4 & 96...And we've always only had dinner cake and presents, with only my parents and two brothers.. im a single mom and have been battling depression for several years.. they both have birthdays close together and i feel so guilty but i just dont have the energy to throw parties.. does this make me a horrible mom?? I want my kids to feel special on their days but i always just feel empty.. i always tell nyself "next yr we'll have a big party" but i just never do.. not that i'm lazy.. i just literally have no energy... maybe some of you ladies can give me some stress free advice on bday ideas??
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Oops *6
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
That is a huge age difference.
weeping_angel
by Don't Blink on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM
Yeah. It's kind of selfish.
FlutterbyMom3
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM
You need therapy and meds. It's not fair to your kids that you don't do things because of depression.
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

A birthday party really requires almost no effort. I mean, a day at six flags is a lot more energy than a stupid party. Why not plan a small one? Just six kids going bowling? You just have to sit there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM
How? I mean, my intentions are in the right place, but i don't really have any friends ti speak of to invite with their kids, so we'd solely be relying on kids from school to attend.. I love my kids dearly i'd give anything to be able to feel happiness again.

Quoting weeping_angel: Yeah. It's kind of selfish.
mom2devin11005
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd say throw a joint party at like a bounce house or bowling alley.... someplace where they take care of everything and all you have to do is show up with a cake and enjoy yourself. I would let them invite like 3 or 4 friends each and they would have a blast and should be pretty low key for you

hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Bday parties aren't a necessity. I've thrown maybe two one for each of my kids. And I refuse to throw anymore.
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM
I never had parties growing up. It's definitely a new tradition parenting wise to throw extravagant parties every year. Don't feel bad, just get it together and do it.

Aaaaaaand we do it too.
MamaKarrot
by Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I never had a major party as a kid.  My mom would let me pick out a flavor of cake and she'd bake it, we'd have dinner, I had a few presents, we would have the cake = done.  I think I had one big party my whole life and my mom had us do relay races down the driveway and stacking sugar cubes as a contest, lol.  I never felt left out of anything otherwise, and birthdays were still fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)