Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am a compassionate person, but **EDIT***

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM
  • 81 Replies

I just do not understand hoarding/hoarders. I am watching the show and I have no sympathy for these people. They live in mice feces and piss!

I do understand it is a mental illness, but these people are rude, selfish and uncaring for their families. Some of them lose their children, rather than get help.

**EDIT After posting this and reading the replies, I do understand a bit more and certainly do not mean to hurt anyone. I apoligize for speaking and not truly knowing where the person comes from. Maybe the show stages way more that we do not see and makes these people seem way more selfish then they are. But I still will not understand choosing things over your children and family. But I can be more compassionate about it.  

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:43 PM
Bump
Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:45 PM
That show males me feel good about my house being a mess. I have no sympathy either.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:48 PM
Hahaha, yeah my house is spotless compared. I just don't understand, I get more mad at the families. Let them live like that. Because I never hear at the end of the show that they have changed their ways.

Quoting Howardx5: That show males me feel good about my house being a mess. I have no sympathy either.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM
3 moms liked this

It's a mental illness, it's not supposed to make sense. I have compassion for those people. It's so hard for them to recover and let go of everything.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:50 PM
They are mentally ill. It isn't an active choice they made to live lime that. I have worked with hoarders before and they are definitely not happy like that.
FlutterbyMom3
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:51 PM
It's a mental illness they don't like living that way anymore than you would. They need help.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:53 PM
In the back of my mind, I worry about my 12 yr old daughter. She is the messiest of my kids and she likes to keep everything. Getting her to let go of stuff and clean her room is like a therapy session.

Lately, I started turning on the hoarders show. It helps to get her talking.
Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 7:56 PM
2 moms liked this

It is brain chemistry. They do not see the filth, they see things that they must hold on to, because if they let go of it, something bad may happen, or they may forget about something.  Since my husband's accident, we have to be very, very active in keeping him from slipping into that mindset, as he wants to keep every single piece of paper, for fear he will forget something. Every two weeks, he has me help him go through everything, and The stuff that is not needed is put in a box. He never sees it leave the house, but it does. It is the best system we have so far.

Roo1234
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Real compassion would help you to understand that they suffer from a combination of compulsions, emotional and mental illnesses.  They don't consciously choose to live like that any more than some one with bipolar or schizophrenia says "I want to suffer so I'm going to behave like ____"

brianard90
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:54 PM
I don't either and my mom is a hoarder. Happened after my grandma died. She was also a hoarder, my mom and her never really got along but its her way of connecting with her again. The problem I have is they are selfish. Yes its all in their head but they really only think about themselves. They don't really care about how the lives of loved ones are affected.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured