Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Trashy wedding etiquette

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM
  • 251 Replies
8 moms liked this
Ugh..... my my cousin sent out her wedding invites, via Facebook I might add. It's in her backyard which is a flat patch of dirt in the middle of the high desert. Her invites state that it is a potluck and to bring a dish for 30 people (not instead of gift either) and it is also BYOB. She invited many people from our of town including me and my parents. So not only does she expect her guests to travel and pay for a hotel, but she expects them to essentially supply the food and drinks for her wedding.
Now I'm not really snooty but I'm not going. I'm not getting myself and the girls dressed for a wedding in the middle of a dirt pile, driving over an hour there, buying and preparing a dish for thirty people, bringing my own drinks, and bringing a gift!
People need a realize its a fine line between being thrifty and being a cheap ass.
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladymaleficent
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM
I wouldnt go either, i tend to be a wedding snob i was a wedding planner.
4weeman
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:22 PM
You should go, its her big day. Maybe she doesn't know any better?
bellydancer1984
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:24 PM
6 moms liked this

i asked people to bring a dish to my wedding but i asked them to do it as a gift or part of a gift and to bring a note card with the recipe so i could put them together and have a cook book of all the food at our wedding

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:25 PM
How do you not know asking people to basically fund your party isn't ok? I'm not going lol

Quoting 4weeman: You should go, its her big day. Maybe she doesn't know any better?
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Fuck that!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ButterMeUp
by Butters on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Im sure she will be pouting when the hand full of people who actually show up will come empty handed.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:28 PM
3 moms liked this
I'm not a snob but I fully believe if you can't afford something then dont do it.

Quoting ladymaleficent: I wouldnt go either, i tend to be a wedding snob i was a wedding planner.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Exactly. A dish for 30 people isn't cheap, plus travel and gas. It's to much to ask IMO

Quoting ButterMeUp: Im sure she will be pouting when the hand full of people who actually show up will come empty handed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Who cares that its her back yard... you do sound snobby abiut that
o.O....
by Cara on Jan. 27, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Is she having this wedding soon? It's pretty chilly for an outdoor, high desert wedding right now...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured