Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you get off the phone for your husband/significant other?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
  • 54 Replies
So last night I was talking to my friend on the phone when my husband called. Since he was headed home I told him I would talk to hin when he got home. When he got home he was livid and started in on what kind of workd do I live in that you stay on the phone with a friend instead of your husband. I told him why I stayed on the phone with her and he said it was excuses and if the roles were reversed I would be pissed and waiting on an apology. So, I apologized but thats it, I was finding out information for a church function that I was interested in for my kids to attend. But since he walked in with an attitude I opted not to discuss it with him, and let him be upset since he really doesn't want an apology either.

Does your husband expect you to end all conversations with anyone else except your parents when they call? I rarely don't end my conversations with others when he calls or come home so he should have figured It was something important to me, but instead made it into an unecessary argument which I will not participate in. Would you have handled it differently?
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Melody635
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:58 AM

No, my DH does not expect me to end a conversation when he calls, nor do I expect him to.  If he is on the phone when I call he'll miss my call and call me back when he's done.  If he calls when I'm on the phone I'll either do the same or sometimes I'll click over and let him know I'm on the phone - he'll either quickly get what he needs to tell me out or tell me to call him back when I'm done. 

I think you handled the situation correctly.  It probably would have gone a lot differently at my house though.

huntersmama711
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM
Since my husband never calls I'd assume it was important and end whatever call I was originally on. Now, if he frequently called I would've done the same as you and he would be ok with that.
teaandcookies
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

no, but when a call comes through, I ask the person to hold.  You never know when they may have gotten in an accident and be using anothers phone, or another person calling to say that your husband just collapsed and is being rushed to emergency.  My point you never know, so why not ansewer

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I would first ask him if its important, depending on the answer I would or wouldn't get off my other call.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I won't answer the call waiting, unless he tried twice. Otherwise hell just text if he needs to tell me something on the way home.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM
You did nothing wrong and should never had to apologized. You were going to see him when you got home anyways and since you were already talking to your friend it would have been rude to hang up with her.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

No, I usually just tell him I"m on the phone and will talk to him later.

The only time I don't is if he's travelling internationally - then it's sometimes hard to make calls.  He does the same for me.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I hope not, because after 24 years I'm not hanging up the phone every time he walks in the house!

zacmacsmomm
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM

I usually get off the call if my hub is calling, UNLESS it's a real important call.  But generally my hub doesn't call to chit chat. sometimes if he has a long drive home, but usually when he calls it's because he has a question or something to tell me

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
He doesn't expect me to but I usually do because I would rather be talking to him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN