Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cutters, you have helped us before and I need you again.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 62 Replies
My dd had been cutting. I got some great advice from you ladies before and would love it if you could help me out again. We are in counseling note to help with this and some other issues. Or counselor has given us homework to do body checks every other day.. I am to have my dd step down to her bra and underwear and remind her that I'm doing this because I wasn't her to love and honor her body. I understand the concept but I'm struggling with how affective this will be. I feel like I'm turning my dd into a freak show by putting her though this. I had major issues with my mom not respecting my boundaries as a teen, I know this has influenced my reaction to the homework
So ladies, would you or did you find benefit to having your mom do body checks? Is this helpful long term? If you are or were a cutter and had somebody that would go to the end of the earth to help you what would you have them do?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Sorry for a the typos.. Still learning how to use this phone!
Wendi2247
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I am not a cutter and my DD is only 6 so I've never dealt with my child cutting.

But my initial thought on this was how awful that would be for a teen girl. How humiliating.

But then again maybe it's what she needs if nothing else is getting through. Sometimes humility is a great thing.
SaraA_1989
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Nope. If my mother even thought to do that to me, I'd flip shit. Also, your essentially making it to where she can cut where her under wear hides it. There's a lifetime movie about cutting. I can't remember the name.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:21 PM
My mom did it to me a few times. It was degrading and I hated her for it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM
I was banned from wearing sweaters. But it just mad me mad when she would check. Eventually I blew up and ended having to get stitches on a few. I didn't appreciate body checks of any kind....
always2nd
by Outlandish on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
You are doing more harm than good
karenhep
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:23 PM
I was a cutter in high school and I would be horrified if my mother had to check my body like that. I would have also found a different release if it came to that. I had body issues too and I can't believe a therapist would suggest this. I would be mortified if I was ur child in this position.

I would talk to me child at night before bed and try to get then to admit to cutting but I would never strip them down and look them over with a fine tooth comb.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I wouldn't. I think it would cause more problems then solve it. You want her to feel comfortable opening up to you about her life and if you do body checks every other day I think she would close up and not talk to you. That's JMO though.
LittleBlueOwl
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM
I was a cutter and my mom never did that. I would have hated it if she did. That's awful advice...idc who it came from.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Ds' s girlfriend had to do the same thing. She started cutting on her hips and her panties covered the marks. I have no personal experience with this, but it seems intrusive and counter productive to me
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)