Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My landlord came over unannounced ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

We are moving. I called my landlord last week to tell her that we will be gone by Feb 5th. We have a 6 month lease signed. Our 6 months is up in Feb. I told her we are going to pay rent for Feb because it is in our agreement and that gives us extra time in case we need it. 

Anyway, we have our own washer and dryer that we brought into this house because this one doesn't have any. My DH is buying me new ones. We called her to see if she wanted to keep them for the house. We also wanted to talk to her about her looking at the house to let us know about getting our deposit back. She didn't answer the phone call or the text we both sent her. She finally came over on Sun unannounced and seemed surprised that we were there. She saw my DH and rushed back to the car and said "I'll be back after church". It was weird and she never came back. 

She finally called last night and was way rude. She said she wont look at the house until we are gone and that she didn't want the washer and dryer (in a rude voice like we were being ridiculous even offering them to her). Fine whatever. But then she said that anything could happen between now and when we are moving. We put her down as a reference because she was always nice to us and we were never late with rent or had any problems with her. I hope she didn't say anything to the new place we want to move just to keep us here.  Rent is due by the 5th of each month. Is it just me thinking she is acting strange? Is it normal for landlords to act like this? My last landlord was amazing, we never had any problems with him.

ETA.

I didn't clarify. The first time I called her she told me she wanted to start showing the house before we left. I was not expecting her to come right away but we thought she wanted to do it before we left like maybe the 3rd or 4th. Then she turns it around like we are pressuring her. I'll try to sell the washer and dryer online. They are in good shape. Thanks ladies I will take tons of pictures and we took some before we moved it. Hopefully she won't try anything funny. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saharra
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM
One of ours was crazy when we moved out too. We always paid our bills on time, kept the house in fantastic shape, did major repairs to it..... And she got snarky when we moved. It happens. I wouldn't worry too much about it. They are probably thinking about the lost income.
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM
Not sure but I would have given proper 2 months in advance written notice for your intent to vacate.
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

I've never had a landlord like her. Sounds like something is up. Take pictures once you have it cleaned out. Make sure the pictures have dates on them . I would even email them to her. That way she cant say you left damage or say it wasn't like it was. In other words this will be covering your own ass since she is acting weird.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:34 PM

That is a bit odd...especially when you've already let her know when you'd be vacating.

Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

In my state (Va) it's illegal for landlords to come over unannounced.  They have to give at least 3 days of notice.

I don't blame her for not looking at the house until you are out though, she is right, anything could happen from now to then.  

ColieO
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I've never heard of 2 months. It's 30 days standard around here. On top of that, they're still paying her for February so there's no reason for the landlord to be pissy about it.

Quoting Blooming_Lotus: Not sure but I would have given proper 2 months in advance written notice for your intent to vacate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:37 PM
If you're still in the house with your stuff she can't do a walk through. She has to be able to see any and all damages, if you cleaned up before leaving, etc. There's still a week left and like she said, anything can happen. You could damage a wall moving furniture out in accident...
*shrugs* other then her being rude, if she was and its not you just over thinking it, then that was uncalled for but I don't see the problem.
iamnameless
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Take pics of the house now and after you get your stuff out!
Blooming_Lotus
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM
In both states I lived in, it's 2 months + 1 day *written* notice. I wouldn't give anything less even if it's not required. Written notice covers your butt in case they contest it and imo it's just being courteous so they have time to find a new tenant.

Quoting ColieO: I've never heard of 2 months. It's 30 days standard around here. On top of that, they're still paying her for February so there's no reason for the landlord to be pissy about it.

Quoting Blooming_Lotus: Not sure but I would have given proper 2 months in advance written notice for your intent to vacate.
Howardx5
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:40 PM
Our landlord said we don't even have to give notice if the lease is ending anyways. They've given us plenty of notices to renew the lease. (they mail a form). And its only 30 days notice if we were leaving before the lease is up. Not 2 months

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)