Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

wtf people in the south.

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM
  • 251 Replies
1 mom liked this
I can't believe they are being this cra y over a little snow! Keeping them in school over night?
I can drive if it dumped 20"
Must be a Michigan thing.
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dlock25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:43 PM
4 moms liked this

It is a michigan thing. People don't know how to act in snow down south. It's been 3 years since it snoed like that in Atlanta. They are not prepared, roads aren't salted. 

Besides most of that is ice with a little bit of snow. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:47 PM

I'm in Minnesota and I couldn't agree more. LOL Don't they have fourwheelers down there? I would have hopped on my fourwheeler and fetched my children from school. ha 

With all the accidents that happened it is clear that people weren't being as cautious as they should have been. You make one wrong move on slushy or icy roads and you are going in the ditch. Driving in the snow is second nature for us Northerners but in the South it is a foreign concept. 

Patti-Gee
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Driving in ice and snow is all about common sense.   Apparently they don't have it. 

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

GA isn't as prepared for the snow and ice like Michigan is....

Bekki
by Silver Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Michigan here! I find it funny that they are paralyzed by a couple inches of snow! We've had 2 feet since last Thursday!

laranadtony
by Ruby Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM

We just lost power at my store. I was in the cooler...wait.. let me copy and paste from my facebook. I am tired!

So tonight's adventure. I am on the phone in the cooler. The sleet and rain had started but not the snow. Suddenly! ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP! Power is gone! Pitch black! 
I tell the person on the phone, "Gotta go!" and barrel out of the cooler! Knock something off(one of the reset products, think), run straight to the front door, lock the door and then I go looking for a flashlight(still hoping noone had come into the store in between me getting out of the cooler and locking the door because the bell would not have went off.
The I hear a car! Argggggggggggg! "They are not getting in!" I am thinking! I call my manager and am about to try to get the help desk on the phone when I shine the light at the door and there is poor tony in the ice and rain standing in the door.
I let him in and went on and called and they said they would get my transformer fixed(a transformer blew in the city). K. Whatever. 
Then I call my DM and he says to lock it down and get out of there. I could not leave it as it was, so I tried to clean up a little but knocked something else over and finally locked the door and left.
So, how was your night in this southern snow thingy????

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:52 PM

I don't get it either, but I've lived in Ak, lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
18 moms liked this

It is amazing that people with common sense cannot figure out that where you live, people are used to driving and doing all sorts of stuff in that sort of weather.  And here in the south(not GA) they don't even have enough plows or salt trucks because it doesn't snow very much at all.  Northerners act all superior because they can handle it and we can't.  Well..it sometimes get 110 degrees or more down here..how many of you are prepared for that?    

ETA: you can stop quoting me if you get hot up there too. I get it. I really do.  But my point is, if it gets hot up there then you are used to it and prepared for it.  If you get snow up there, the same applies. Where I live, this is the first snowstorm in 17 years..no one was prepared for it.  If you want to talk common sense..why don't you try using some? All of this stuff you are spouting is based on experience..something we don't have. Someone brought it up. How did the north handle it when that hurricane hit up there? Not so well huh?  Hmmmm....

65_Redroses
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
May I edit that : I could drive if it dumped 20" of snow. Without snow tires, with 2wd while on unsalted roads.
Just go slow people. And if you do slide lightly hit the breaks (don't stomp down or your breaks will lock and you WILL end up in a ditch) and turn the wheel all the way opposite of the direction in which you are sliding
:)
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM

I know. I'm from WI, 2 inches is a party lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)