Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homebirth, death rate, too high

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 68 Replies

Because home birth has a greater death rate then hospital birth's. Women who gave birth at home. And are found guilty of planning a home birth shoud be jailed.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:47 AM
They just feel this way because they can't control the situation. Control your labor or the care provider after your baby is born.. Like vaccines.
bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:47 AM
4 moms liked this
Actually, hospital death rates are MUCH higher.
AshleySail
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:48 AM
I'm not gonna watch those videos because I'm on my phone and can't open them up on YouTube conveniently. But people should have the right to birth the way they want to without having to worry about legal issues. I do think there should be a trained professional with them either at home, in a birth center or hospital. But that's my opinion.
Fulgent.Drinker
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:50 AM
1 mom liked this

AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:02 AM
2 moms liked this

eh.. wrong

In the largest study of its kind, investigators at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City reviewed data from a sampling of 13 million of the nearly 17 million singleton full-term births in the United States between 2004-2007. These included births to parents of all races, ethnic groups and income levels.

Among their findings: Babies born at home were nearly 10 times more likely to be stillborn, and the risk of stillbirth increased to 14 times for firstborns. Babies born at home were also almost four times more likely to experience neonatal seizures or serious neurologic dysfunction compared with babies born in hospitals.

The study's results were confirmed by analyzing birth certificate files from the National Center for Health Statistics to evaluate deliveries by physicians and midwives in the hospital and at home from 2007 to 2010. The researchers looked at Apgars, scores that assess the health of an infant one minute and five minutes after birth. A five-minute Apgar score of zero is considered a stillbirth. About 10 percent of these babies survive, though often with major health problems.

I can link more if you want.... 
Quoting bowribbonmama: Actually, hospital death rates are MUCH higher.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:11 AM

more people use hospitals so that would make sense  .  I could never have had a home birth,  too much of a risky pregnancy.  People should not be cheap and choose having births at home when they are far from safe. There is a reason that childbirth is safer now, and it is not because of home births.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:19 AM
2 moms liked this
If I could find a doctor that didn't lie to me, bully me and basically rape me while I was delivering my child I might have my next baby at the hospital. But since I can't, I'd rather take my chances with a midwife.
KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:21 AM
6 moms liked this

Honestly I think having an unassisted home birth is one of the riskiest and most selfish decisions a mother could make. 

Go ahead and bash me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:23 AM
What do you think are the chances that this is because doctor preform elective c-sections on women all the time?

"Eh, why do you want to have your baby naturally? Let's just schedule you a c-section, pull your baby out and be done? 20 minutes and you can be holding your baby." A local OB/GYN's actual words to me, needless to say I decided to go with a different doctor.

Quoting AJsMom81507:

eh.. wrong

In the largest study of its kind, investigators at New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York City reviewed data from a sampling of 13 million of the nearly 17 million singleton full-term births in the United States between 2004-2007. These included births to parents of all races, ethnic groups and income levels.

Among their findings: Babies born at home were nearly 10 times more likely to be stillborn, and the risk of stillbirth increased to 14 times for firstborns. Babies born at home were also almost four times more likely to experience neonatal seizures or serious neurologic dysfunction compared with babies born in hospitals.

The study's results were confirmed by analyzing birth certificate files from the National Center for Health Statistics to evaluate deliveries by physicians and midwives in the hospital and at home from 2007 to 2010. The researchers looked at Apgars, scores that assess the health of an infant one minute and five minutes after birth. A five-minute Apgar score of zero is considered a stillbirth. About 10 percent of these babies survive, though often with major health problems.

I can link more if you want.... 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 5:24 AM
I don't think they usually choose homebirth because it's cheaper.

Quoting Anonymous:

more people use hospitals so that would make sense  .  I could never have had a home birth,  too much of a risky pregnancy.  People should not be cheap and choose having births at home when they are far from safe. There is a reason that childbirth is safer now, and it is not because of home births.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)