Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homebirth, death rate, too high

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Because home birth has a greater death rate then hospital birth's. Women who gave birth at home. And are found guilty of planning a home birth shoud be jailed.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:44 AM
Replies (61-68):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:52 AM
2 moms liked this

You are correct.  Babies die significantly more often in home birth settings than hospital settings.  All the numbers that have been collected from states that require midwives to collect and publish that data have the same result.  Furthermore, homebirth is not used more often in other countries, hospital births attended by midwives overseen by doctors are used more often.  (And while *maternal* death is lower-these numbers completely due to lack of availability of prenatal care among the poor-neonatal death and complications are higher).  

However, I disagree that women should not have the choice.  Women are capable of making decisions about their own bodies, even if those decisions aren't ones you would make.  If someone wants to give birth by themselves, in the woods, with no one but her faithful dog by her side, then more power to her.  If someone wants to give birth standing on her head singing "live free", that's her business.  This whole debate about c sections vs homebirth is really all about trying to control women and the choices they make about their bodies.

Be informed, or don't.  Forge a new path or just go along with whatever everyone else does.  Just make your choice and allow others to make theirs.

Sister_Someone
by Rachel on Jan. 30, 2014 at 5:53 AM

I just don't care either way. I would never choose a homebirth for myself, because I want all the pain relief and medical help that I can get, but I really don't care if another woman chooses to have one.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Well--I got the epi after 25 hours. They gave me other meds in my IV before then that took the edge off. Yeah--it was definately not my idea of a 'good time!' I was yelling at my DH that I was never ever, ever having another baby ever again!! ROFL!! ROFL!! I went on to have 4 more kids!! ROFL!! ROFL!! 

WOW!! That is cool that you were able to go without an epi! Of course, 10 hours would seem like nothing to me after 59 hours!  

CONGRATS on your 6-week-old!! :) Our youngest (and our ONLY DD), just turned 6-years-old yesterday!  

Quoting Anonymous: OMG, 59 hours!! You poor thing! I can't imagine being in labor that long. At what point did you get the epi?

With my first two, I delivered in a hospital with an ob/gyn and had epidurals. First one lasted about 8 hours and second one was 13 hours. With my third, she is 6 weeks old, I had a midwife that took care of me during my pregnancy but delivered in a hospital with an ob gyn and a Doula for support, and no epidural. It was 10 hours of unmedicated labor.

Quoting Anonymous:

I totally agree. If someone wants to do a homebirth that is fine by me. It is their choice. It is just not something I ever felt comfortable doing ever. I felt much safer and comfortable in a hospital/birthing center knowing if something went wrong, there were Drs., nurses and an operating room right there. I would have been worried out of my mind if I had stayed home to have my babies. Besides, you cannot get an epidural at home. There is no way I could have endured the 59 hours I was in labor with my first baby without the epidural! Thankfully, I chose a very good OB/GYN! She told my mom she did not do a c-section b/c my son was not in any distress and my blood pressure was fine. I was a first time mom and just unfortunately, had a very long labor! I was so glad when baby #2 only took 16 hours of labor! ROFL!! ROFL!!  

Quoting Anonymous: I would not do a homebirth myself but do know many women who have had successful ones.

I did consider a birth center though, with my last baby, because I do think it's a lot safer.

I just would be scared something would happen and I could not get to the hospital fast enough.

With that being said, I do think that mothers have the right to chose homebirth if that's what they really want.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know someone who chose homebirth for both of her babies. For her first birth, she used a friend whose a Midwife and so she charged her nothing! The supplies she needed which were a large birthing tub and the other essential items were around $100. Her DH is in the military, so a hospital birth would have been FREE! For their 2nd homebirth, they did not even have her friend (whose a midwife) there! She and her DH wanted to experience birth without anyone there but them! They were very lucky that nothing went wrong with either birth! 

If I had had a homebirth with my #3 baby, we would both be dead right now! There was no way anyone could have known I was going to have placenta abruptia after 4 1/2 hours of labor nor that my babies umbilical cord would be wrapped around his neck and chest so many times, that a c-section would have to be performed no matter what! IMO, homebirths are like playing Russian Roulette. I am very thankful for hospitals/birthing centers.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't think they usually choose homebirth because it's cheaper.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting bowribbonmama: Actually, hospital death rates are MUCH higher.

more people use hospitals so that would make sense  .  I could never have had a home birth,  too much of a risky pregnancy.  People should not be cheap and choose having births at home when they are far from safe. There is a reason that childbirth is safer now, and it is not because of home births.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Lol! I was yelling "I hate you" and "This is all your fault" at my husband. I was very angry at him at the time because I told both him and my Doula to not let me get an epi or any pain meds even if I begged. I knew I would of course because damn giving birth is painful.

I think this will be my last, so I am really glad I was able to have a nucb. It's not for everyone though, I don't even know if I could do it again. I was induced with Pitocin though, at 42+4, and I've heard that definitely makes the pain worse.

I think it takes a pretty amazing person to make it through 59 hours of labor, 25 of which were without an epi.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well--I got the epi after 25 hours. They gave me other meds in my IV before then that took the edge off. Yeah--it was definately not my idea of a 'good time!' I was yelling at my DH that I was never ever, ever having another baby ever again!! ROFL!! ROFL!! I went on to have 4 more kids!! ROFL!! ROFL!! 

WOW!! That is cool that you were able to go without an epi! Of course, 10 hours would seem like nothing to me after 59 hours!  

CONGRATS on your 6-week-old!! :) Our youngest (and our ONLY DD), just turned 6-years-old yesterday!  

Quoting Anonymous: OMG, 59 hours!! You poor thing! I can't imagine being in labor that long. At what point did you get the epi?

With my first two, I delivered in a hospital with an ob/gyn and had epidurals. First one lasted about 8 hours and second one was 13 hours. With my third, she is 6 weeks old, I had a midwife that took care of me during my pregnancy but delivered in a hospital with an ob gyn and a Doula for support, and no epidural. It was 10 hours of unmedicated labor.

Quoting Anonymous:

I totally agree. If someone wants to do a homebirth that is fine by me. It is their choice. It is just not something I ever felt comfortable doing ever. I felt much safer and comfortable in a hospital/birthing center knowing if something went wrong, there were Drs., nurses and an operating room right there. I would have been worried out of my mind if I had stayed home to have my babies. Besides, you cannot get an epidural at home. There is no way I could have endured the 59 hours I was in labor with my first baby without the epidural! Thankfully, I chose a very good OB/GYN! She told my mom she did not do a c-section b/c my son was not in any distress and my blood pressure was fine. I was a first time mom and just unfortunately, had a very long labor! I was so glad when baby #2 only took 16 hours of labor! ROFL!! ROFL!!  

Quoting Anonymous: I would not do a homebirth myself but do know many women who have had successful ones.

I did consider a birth center though, with my last baby, because I do think it's a lot safer.

I just would be scared something would happen and I could not get to the hospital fast enough.

With that being said, I do think that mothers have the right to chose homebirth if that's what they really want.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know someone who chose homebirth for both of her babies. For her first birth, she used a friend whose a Midwife and so she charged her nothing! The supplies she needed which were a large birthing tub and the other essential items were around $100. Her DH is in the military, so a hospital birth would have been FREE! For their 2nd homebirth, they did not even have her friend (whose a midwife) there! She and her DH wanted to experience birth without anyone there but them! They were very lucky that nothing went wrong with either birth! 

If I had had a homebirth with my #3 baby, we would both be dead right now! There was no way anyone could have known I was going to have placenta abruptia after 4 1/2 hours of labor nor that my babies umbilical cord would be wrapped around his neck and chest so many times, that a c-section would have to be performed no matter what! IMO, homebirths are like playing Russian Roulette. I am very thankful for hospitals/birthing centers.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't think they usually choose homebirth because it's cheaper.

Quoting Anonymous:

more people use hospitals so that would make sense  .  I could never have had a home birth,  too much of a risky pregnancy.  People should not be cheap and choose having births at home when they are far from safe. There is a reason that childbirth is safer now, and it is not because of home births.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 7:55 PM

LOL!! LOL!! Yeah--I was yelling at my DH that it was all his fault too!! LOL!! LOL!! He also tried to hold my hand while I was in labor. I gave him the dirtiest look and I pulled my  hand away from him, and I said, "Don't you touch me!!! This is all your fault and this pain hurts SOOOO BAD!!!" Then I started yelling!! ROFL!! ROFL!! 

Yeah-my Dr. makes moms go a week past their due date before she will induce. My cervix was high, closed and hard!! GRRRR!!! I had to have pitocin in my IV and P-gel to soften my cervix!! It SUCKED!! I have talked to women who've had labor with pitocin and then one that they went into labor on their own. They all said the same thing--the pitocin makes the contractions way more painful than if you go into labor on your own! Yeah--just my luck!! Pitocin is the evil drug! I HATE that stuff with a passion!! 

Well I didn't really have a choice but to wait until I reached 25 hours to get my epi! There was only ONE anesthesiologist on the Labor and Delivery floor and there were 2 women ahead of me to get their epi's before I FINALLY got mine!! If there had not been 2 women ahead of me to get epi's, I would have gotten it an hour sooner! I was literally yelling for them to get the anesthesiologist in my room NOW!!! Once he got the epi in and started the drugs, I said, "I LOVE YOU!!" to the anesthesiologist. He laughed and told me he loves his job b/c he gets to hear women tell him that they love him all day long!! ROFL!! ROFL!!  

Quoting Anonymous: Lol! I was yelling "I hate you" and "This is all your fault" at my husband. I was very angry at him at the time because I told both him and my Doula to not let me get an epi or any pain meds even if I begged. I knew I would of course because damn giving birth is painful.

I think this will be my last, so I am really glad I was able to have a nucb. It's not for everyone though, I don't even know if I could do it again. I was induced with Pitocin though, at 42+4, and I've heard that definitely makes the pain worse.

I think it takes a pretty amazing person to make it through 59 hours of labor, 25 of which were without an epi.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:32 PM
That is too funny! Oh the things We go through to have our babies!

Quoting Anonymous:

LOL!! LOL!! Yeah--I was yelling at my DH that it was all his fault too!! LOL!! LOL!! He also tried to hold my hand while I was in labor. I gave him the dirtiest look and I pulled my  hand away from him, and I said, "Don't you touch me!!! This is all your fault and this pain hurts SOOOO BAD!!!" Then I started yelling!! ROFL!! ROFL!! 

Yeah-my Dr. makes moms go a week past their due date before she will induce. My cervix was high, closed and hard!! GRRRR!!! I had to have pitocin in my IV and P-gel to soften my cervix!! It SUCKED!! I have talked to women who've had labor with pitocin and then one that they went into labor on their own. They all said the same thing--the pitocin makes the contractions way more painful than if you go into labor on your own! Yeah--just my luck!! Pitocin is the evil drug! I HATE that stuff with a passion!! 

Well I didn't really have a choice but to wait until I reached 25 hours to get my epi! There was only ONE anesthesiologist on the Labor and Delivery floor and there were 2 women ahead of me to get their epi's before I FINALLY got mine!! If there had not been 2 women ahead of me to get epi's, I would have gotten it an hour sooner! I was literally yelling for them to get the anesthesiologist in my room NOW!!! Once he got the epi in and started the drugs, I said, "I LOVE YOU!!" to the anesthesiologist. He laughed and told me he loves his job b/c he gets to hear women tell him that they love him all day long!! ROFL!! ROFL!!  

Quoting Anonymous: Lol! I was yelling "I hate you" and "This is all your fault" at my husband. I was very angry at him at the time because I told both him and my Doula to not let me get an epi or any pain meds even if I begged. I knew I would of course because damn giving birth is painful.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

grey7399
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Nothing is perfect. 

Babies die in hospitals.  Mothers die in hospitals.

These women want to play russian roulette with their babies lives & theirs.  So be it.  Its not my body & not my kid.  And in general, its one less mouth on welfare. 

Texasladybug84
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM
Same with teen pregnancy rate

Quoting Anonymous: The infant death rate in the US (no matter the type of birth) is much higher than in countries where they primarily have home births.

Do some real research. ABC is not an unbiased source.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)