Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

would you let them go?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I woke up this morning to an email from my ex husband asking if he could take our kids to Jamaica. Him and his fiance want to get married there in 2015. He is asking now because the kids will need passports. The kids are 9 and 7. Part of me says no no no. I dont want my babies that far away. Part of me says do it because I might want to take them out of the country some day

Wwyd?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Replies (31-40):
EmeraldBirdie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:10 AM

If you trust that they will be taken care of, let them go. I would have a hard time too. BUMP!!

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:10 AM
Yes I'd let them go
graybealgirl
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

No I would not. My kids will never leave the country without me. I would never risk the chance that something may happen to them and I could not get to them in a timely manner. There are also too many stories in the news of the non custodial parent taking off with the kids and it becomes a nightmare. I just personally would not do it. But to each there own.

CABZS
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:11 AM
You are something special aren't you?

First there are countries that have deals with us meaning they will look for the child and send the child back. Other countries won't, example Iran and I believe China. You go to get your child back you are now kidnapping.

However, these parents have ties and connections and typically money and citizenship to these countries.

I doubt this man is kidnapping.

Also, as long as they stay in the safe touristy areas they should be perfectly fine as well.

Quoting Anonymous: And....go read articles on how children, ESPECIALLY when it's the ex disappear in Jamaica, Brazil, Haiti.

What was meant to be a happy vacay turns up 20 years later still no news.

No thank you, I'd go with my kids.
momoftwogirl55
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:12 AM
I'd let them go as long as you and exdh are on good terms and you don't think he'd pull a stupid stunt of trying to kidnap them.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I would - (this next part isn't meant to sound nasty) but its not about what you want, its about your children.  Their father and his soon to be new wife want your children at their wedding and the kids will get an awesome vacation not many people experience.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Wow so no vacation time with his kids? Ridiculous.

Quoting jjames1990: I am a smother mother. I would let them go, but I would go also. I would take a separate plane. Stay at a separate hotel and DH can pick them up for the wedding and return them to you. Or, I would attend the wedding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:16 AM
Jamaica is awesome! At 8 and 10, they will love it. My little ones did when we took them and they were a bit younger than yours. Mine still talk about going back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:21 AM
I am not. I would never want to go on his vacation.

Quoting jjames1990: I am a smother mother. I would let them go, but I would go also. I would take a separate plane. Stay at a separate hotel and DH can pick them up for the wedding and return them to you. Or, I would attend the wedding.
jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Not to another country, actually on a plane, without me. My ex knew that when we divorced, there were going to be limits to his involvement. It is just how I am, wont apologize for it. The kids are adults, they survived.

Quoting Anonymous: Wow so no vacation time with his kids? Ridiculous.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)