Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sorry, folks. Alabama's CLOSED. (Moose out front should'a told you)

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:49 AM
  • 121 Replies
2 moms liked this

Question about all this snow in the South.
Is the reason for all the EVERYBODY PANIC stuff because their public works were unprepared to handle snow so they didn't salt and can't stay on top of plowing/salting?

Is it that no one knows how to drive on ice and snow?

I know they've got a ton of traffic backed up and people can't get home. A friend stayed with some coworkers last night because the roads were impassable...but what's impassable for them seems pretty passable to me. Or it would be if we had a snow plow or three leading the way... 

Anyone here living in the southern states that can shed some light on this for me? I mean, they've called in the Nat'l Guard!

Sometimes when I'm alone, I like to Google myself.

If you like my style, follow my blog.  I am Random Ninja - Writer of Wrongs.
Click it.  Share it.  (Tell 'em it's just a cold sore.)

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
256bamamom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:53 AM
3 moms liked this

The answer is in your question.....it's the South....we don't normally get snow...especially in South Alabama...aka Mobile......so given that snow is a rare occurance....we don't have the necessary snow equipment that say a Northern State would typically have.....so what might be a "typical" winter weather situation for you is not typical for us.....but the bigger issue is folks loosing their power and therefore their heat....it is what it is....

zoegirlsmom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:55 AM
3 moms liked this

The answer is it's Gridlock. You can't drive when there is 6 lanes of stopped traffic, unless you have a hovercraft. Then technically that's flying.

B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 8:56 AM
There are no snow plows. When I was in high school in NC, we had a big storm and eight inches of snow and they were bulldozing the roads.
deputygirls28
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:03 AM
This. I still remember the one school day where they let us out of school early because there were snow flurries. (This was in SC). However, once I moved to PA they kept us in school while we got 6 inches.

Quoting B1Bomber: There are no snow plows. When I was in high school in NC, we had a big storm and eight inches of snow and they were bulldozing the roads.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Got it.  So "unprepared".   

(We lose power too, but I'm thinking that the temp won't stay low too long down there, at least I hope not.)  The weather this winter is absolutely nuts.

Quoting 256bamamom:

The answer is in your question.....it's the South....we don't normally get snow...especially in South Alabama...aka Mobile......so given that snow is a rare occurance....we don't have the necessary snow equipment that say a Northern State would typically have.....so what might be a "typical" winter weather situation for you is not typical for us.....but the bigger issue is folks loosing their power and therefore their heat....it is what it is....

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Quoting B1Bomber: There are no snow plows. When I was in high school in NC, we had a big storm and eight inches of snow and they were bulldozing the roads.

It's crazy, isn't it?  Makes the southern states seem like an entirely different country.  lol.

I've lived in the midwest all my life, so their inability to handle snow like this baffles me.   Never had to think about their lack of equipment.  

Cutenessmom
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM

rolling on floor You know   were up here laughing at you becuase, two incheso f snow is a shut down I tihnk that is so weird. How comes they do not know tslow down and prepare for it.

How ocme the city  will ont ojust buy blows and salt trucks?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

ErikaRobin
by Platinum Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Quoting zoegirlsmom:

The answer is it's Gridlock. You can't drive when there is 6 lanes of stopped traffic, unless you have a hovercraft. Then technically that's flying.

Why is it gridlock though?  Gridlock starts somewhere, doesn't it?  I suspect it started with a couple of yokels with bald tires doing donuts...   

Okay, maybe not.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:10 AM
13 moms liked this
We are equipped for flip flops and tank tops. Ice only mixes well here in a daiquiri. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)