Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My ILs are moving in and we have no room. WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 196 Replies

My in laws have been financially irresponsible the entire time I've known them, and according to DH, their entire life. Recently, my FIL was laid off and my MIL has only been able to find part time work. As they were living pay check to pay check, they haven't been able to pay rent and need to move out. DH is the only child that still has a relationship with them, as his sister doesn't speak to them.

They're moving in here, which I'm NOT thrilled about, but they're family. However, we have a room dilemma. Our house has three bedrooms. One is DH's an I's room, one is shared by my 2 younger daughter (3 and 7), and one is my 16yo daughter's. I don't know where to put them. We have a VERY small basement, but it's unfinished and freezing, so that's not an option. Our living room is connected to our kitchen, and while someone could sleep on the couch it's not conducive to being a bedroom. 

I asked my 16yo if she would move in with her sisters, but she said the room is way too small for 3 people and the girls go to bed too early. The room is only about 10x10 and they are light sleepers, so I see her point. She's not handling the idea of them moving in well and teared up when I asked.

Does anyone have any ideas or advice? My DH thinks she should move in with her sisters or sleep in the living room, but I don't think I could ask her for that at this point. 

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:14 PM
27 moms liked this

I don't have any ideas on where to put them, but shoving my teenager daughter in a tiny room with two little kids or forcing her to sleep in the living room when this is no fault of her own would NOT be an option in this house. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:14 PM
7 moms liked this
I would rent them a small cheap studio apartment for 6 months then cut them off.
Tatiana7
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:15 PM
14 moms liked this
Just. Say. No.
Shy_Dia
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:17 PM
How big is the basement? could you kinda finish it up and let the 16 year old have it?
Amberleigh81
by Silver Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this
Why are you letting them move in at all? This sounds like a disaster.
SaraA_1989
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:19 PM
6 moms liked this
They wouldn't be living in my house. You'll never get them out. Kids shouldn't differ because grown people can't handle their shit.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:20 PM

We can't afford to do this, or believe me, I'd be all over it. 

Quoting Anonymous: I would rent them a small cheap studio apartment for 6 months then cut them off.

macawoogo
by Bronze Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:21 PM
7 moms liked this

make them sleep on couch, it will give them the insinitive(sp) to save and move out faster. or let them in basement. It's not fair to 16 yr old to have to move out of her room. Don;t let them get too comfortable. Maybe you or hubby could manage their money

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:21 PM
7 moms liked this

I would put the 3 girls in the biggest bedroom. Then you take next smaller and  inlaws the one left over.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

kiwiskiwi29
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 7:21 PM
5 moms liked this

Dang that really sucks. I don't think it's fair to kick the 16 year old out of her room so don't do that. Um...I say they are just going to have to sleep on the couch whether they like it or not and be out in 6 months. That's it no longer. If you make them too comfortable they may stay longer. So make it less than desirable but decent so they are more inclined to get their acts together and get out of your house. I'm sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)