Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

wow. you ignore the peanut ban at school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I just read a post about a kid with a peanut allergy. Onw mom replied and said her kids school has banned peanuts because of one kids allergy, a kid that is in her kids class but she ignores it. She sends her kid with whatever lunch she wants.
What do you think about that? Is that right? What should she do? If the school found that out, how should it be handled?
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 29, 2014 at 9:24 PM
Replies (201-207):
redheadedharlot
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Re-read my most recent reply..."The mentality still exists.  The one affected doesn't need to take on any responsibility for their condition, because everyone else can be made to cater to them."  This is the heart of the issue - the one with special circumstances expecting the whole world to cater to them, instead of learning what they need to do/not do in life.  My "apples and oranges" example was an extrapolation to TRY and illustrate to you the heart of the issue.  It was not meant to be taken literally, and anyone should have been able to see that.

Quoting Anonymous: One can be deadly, while the other makes you sick. You are comparing apples and oranges.

Quoting redheadedharlot:

The mentality still exists.  The one affected doesn't need to take on any responsibility for their condition, because everyone else can be made to cater to them.

Quoting Anonymous: Those are totally different allergies and cause completely different reactions...

Quoting redheadedharlot:

It is the general mentality that 99.99999% of the population must ALWAYS be deprived for the 0.00001% that can't keep their shit all in one bag.  First, nuts.  Then what?  ALL grain products, for the gluten sensitive?  Then, ALL dairy for the lactose intolerant?  Then, ALL animal products for the lilly livered vegans who cry at the sight of a ham sandwich?  Where does it EVER end?

Quoting Anonymous: How is not having peanuts suffering?

Quoting redheadedharlot:

According to OP, it is only ONE kid in the ENTIRE school.  The teachers can't watch ONE kid at lunch/snack times?  EVERYONE ELSE must suffer because they are that lazy and careless?

Quoting briansmommy2010: Children in preschool may not understand their allergy yet. They may not fully understand that they shouldn't eat their classmate's snacks because they contain peanut butter.

Quoting redheadedharlot:

So, the entire school's diet should be mandated by one kid's issues?  I think not!  Why can't no-peanut-kiddo just watch their surroundings?  You can be DAMN SURE I wouldn't cave either!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 34 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I think if the kid gets sick from the person ignoring the ban, that person should be prosecuted.  I don't know if that's possible, but thats how I feel.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:04 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

https://allergysafecommunities.ca/assets/common_beliefs_faan_2003.pdf

Debunks the air allergin theory.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Even if I do disagree with allergen-free zones in principle, I've already said that I'd respect a peanut ban if there was one, as it means nothing to me either way.

The problem I do have with that is where do we draw the line at how many things we can ban? If we banned peanuts, why not also fish lunches, eggs and dairy lunches, gluten lunches... How about we take down all the trees and the grass, so many people are allergic to pollen, right? Oh, and let's also ban glue and balloons, wouldn't want to upset someone's latex allergy, right?

Who gets to call the shots on what's "reasonable" to ban?

Quoting Alchemist_Momma: I will express them. I think that all peanut products SHOULD be banned in a school environment. Simply for safety measures. DD has an allergy so bad if she touches PB, eats it, or is even just around a lot of it, she will break out in a full body rash, and swell up like a balloon. She will essentially suffocate because she wont be able to breathe.

Quoting Anonymous: Well I won't bash you for it. You have the right to your thoughts and feelings so express them

Quoting Alchemist_Momma: As a mom with a kid with a peanut allergy, I'm just going to stay quiet on this topic. My opinion is NOT a popular one.

THings which PROXIMITY to can cause death should be banned. It's a no brainer.

Peanut allergy is one that can be air bourne or contact.  You need to ban that at the elementary level at the very least.

Milk allergies are not contact or air borne.

Now Latex in fact is a contact allergy, and it is becoming increasingly rare to find food service gloves that HAVE latex in them.  It's been years since I have used latex gloves in any restaurant I worked in.

MOST food allergies are not contact or air borne, and thus not an enormous danger. Peanuts ar the exception to this rule.  Many  schools do a classroom ban of peanut products and a seperate peanut free table in the classroom.

People will say keep the kid home, or send them elsewhere-but that violates Federal law.  Least inclusive and right to an education.

Did you read it? Because it far from debunks the theory. It is the results of ONE study.

Itr also states that kids having a reactin to the smell of peanut butter MAY be coditioned. But of course a conditioned allergic response is an allergic response.  IT SAYS that inhalation of peanut protein can caluse allergic reactions!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Quoting Sister_Someone:

If you think I'm going to read that, you're insane. It's not like it matters though. It's so sad for those people, but they're the statistics. Those deaths out of how many allergies? And I meant all fish. Shellfish AND fish. Yet I never asked to have fish banned from anywhere, including my own fucking home.

When you're living with a severe allergy, a reaction is going to happen every now and then, no matter how careful you are. It's a fact of this life and tThere is virtually NO way around it, except maybe not leaving your home ever. That's what epi-pens are for. A little common sense goes a loooooong way. Too bad it's in such short supply these days.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

No. Just like most peanut allergies aren't. If I ingest it, or ingest something that was in contact with it (I once got a reaction from serving myself salad with the same prongs I didn't notice someone else used to serve themselves mussels), I could die. Just like most people who are allergic to peanuts could die from INGESTING peanuts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

Y'know what else isn't nearly as common as people paint it out to be? Airborne peanut allergies. I'm not sure what's the exact statistic without looking it up, which I'm absolutely not going to do now, but I do know it's extremely rare.

So the truth is that most kids' peanut allergies really aren't any more or any less severe than any other life-threatening food allergy. It's just a scare tactic that allergy parents use to get their way, because they can.

See, education goes both ways.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

If you'd bothered to read the rest of the discussion you quoted before you conveniently erased it, you'd have read that I said I'd respect a peanut ban if one was in place. 

That doesn't mean that I can't disagree with it for all the money, and use every opportunity I get to say so.

I would tell anyone whose child is making the lives of the majority difficult to homeschool if it's that much of an issue and let the others live in peace.

As I said, it's not about the peanuts. Peanuts aren't the only life-threatening allergy, yet they are usually the only one that's being catered to. That's what bugs me. My middle school banned peanuts because we had ONE allergic kid. But guess what, we also had ONE kid who was allergic to fish (me), and they still served fish lunches twice a week. Which is fine by me, because I didn't grow up in a bubble and know how to take care of myself. Unlike some people.

All I'm saying is that if you're going to cater to one of 'em, might as well cater to all. Maybe then people would realize how fucking ridiculous is that and just stop.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

The peanuts are not the issue here. I'd feel the same way about banning any one food. It's about control and the attitude that everyone should cater to the one person who is different. Just where do we draw the line with that?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Sister_Someone:

That's... not my problem. Some lunatic trying to control what my child can have for lunch is.

A school-aged child is old enough to understand around what food(s) they need to be careful, if they're allergic. Unless they've grown up in a bubble. Peanut bans do nothing except create a false security blanket that doesn't really exist in the world, and teach children that their allergy is someone else's problem. It's no wonder there are so many entitled people in this world.

But in thiis case the child IS ENTITLED. TO a safe environment in school.

Who ISN"T entitled is YOUR KID. NOT entitled to eat peanut butter in school!

I guess if you managed to get the ADA over turned, then you could have your way. Until then, legally YES we have to cater to a child who has a life threatening allergy in the school environment.

If it is an issue for you, YOU can homeschool.

I mean if a child in a wheelcahir can have ramps built for her, and an elevator installed, and  the  aides hired, why do you think that a child with a life threatening allergy allergy be accomodated?  Would you tell the Mom of the child in the wheelchair that she should homeschool because her child is NOT "entitled" to special accomodations?

Oh and just so you are not confused...schools are NOT 'public".   I can't just walk into YOUR childs school and say-Hey I thought I would hang out here today, since it is "public".

Schools are public only to those who are "entitled" to use them.

You had a contact allergy to fish?  Breathing it in could kill you?

Interesting I never heard of that kind of reaction to fish....

You didn't answer my question....was yours  a contact allergy? Or airborn?

Mussels are shell fish. NOt fish. Which allergy do you have?  Oh and look-you, an ADULT gave yourself a reaction-but a 6 year old can be trusted......

NUTS are one of the biggest causes of death-perhaps because they tend to be a more severe allergy?

Notice the ages of these people.

Here-

Food Allergy Deaths in 2013: Abbie Benford, 15, died from an anaphylaxis reaction. Full Story Emma Slone, 14, died from a reaction to a nut based sauce. She had a peanut allergy. Full StoryAndrew Turner, 35, died from eating bread containing nuts. Full StoryShimmer James, 6, died after an allergic reaction to peanut. Full StoryTaylor Brown, 11, died from an allergic reaction. Partial Story and Partial Story.Marcus Sweet, 46, died after an allergic reaction to coconut. Full StoryConnor Donaldson, 12, died from a suspected allergic reaction from nut allergy. Full StoryGiovanni Cipriano, 14, died from an allergic reaction to peanuts. Full StoryEthan Williams, 14, died from a suspected tree nut allergy. Full StoryNatalie Giorgi, 13, died from an allergic reaction to peanut butter. Full StoryMason Wight, 11, died from an allergic reaction. Partial StoryJackie Scott, 35, died from an allergic reaction caused by peanut allergy. Full StoryTanner Henstra, 11, died from an allergic reaction to peanut butter. Full StoryAdrian Gutierrez, 8, died from a possible reaction to milk. Full StoryMaia Santarelli-Gallo, 12, died of an allergic reaction. Full StoryCameron Fitzpatrick, 19, died after eating a cookie that contained peanut oil. He had a peanut and tree nut allergy.  Full StoryFood Allergy Deaths in 2012:  Danika Rae, 17, died from complications related to an airborne allergic reaction and asthma attack. Full StoryMichael Saffioti, 22, died from dairy allergy after eating oatmeal containing dairy. Full StoryJack Levee, 17, died from a severe allergic reaction and a asthma attack. Full StoryWilliam Luckett, 15, died after eating Chinese takeaway. He had a peanut allergy. Full StoryEthan Thomas, 11, died from an allergic reaction to curry. He had a nut allergy. Full StoryNatalia Green, 17, died from an allergic reaction to chicken satay containing peanut. Full Story

And common sense says that children ALL hildren should be safe in their schools. And that a 5 year old can NOT be trusted to make the right decision..

CBS/WTVR
                                        (CBS) The first grade girl who died from a peanut allergy at her elementary school was reportedly given a peanut by her friend.PICTURES - Food allergy: 9 dangerous myths

Amarria Johnson, 7, died on Jan. 4 at Hopkins Elementary School in Chesterfield Country, Va, after emergency crews were unable to resuscitate her. ABC News reports that there will be no criminal negligence charges filed against the school, Johnson's mother, or the girl who shared the peanut.

"Although not a crime, Amarria's death is a tragedy and the Chesterfield County Police Department expresses its deepest sympathies to her family, classmates and school personnel as they deal with this difficult and painful event," police chief Col. Thierry Dupuis said in a statement, according to ABC.

Johnson's death sparked a national debate about whether schools should carry epinephrine injections, or EpiPens, on hand to prevent severe allergic reactions that result in anaphlyaxis. Anyone experiencing the life-threatening reaction needs to receive the injection immediately to reduce symptoms or they can die within an hour. 

Johnson's school, without  commenting directly on her case, said it could only give a child medication that his or her family brought in specifically for the child, and could not give a student another child's medication in the event of an emergency.

"Normally, I would agree this is responsible," opined Dr. Karen Latimer, a family medicine physician and blogger, on the Huffington Post. "However, all bets are off when a little girl is dying."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 35 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Working at a school cafeteria, I can tell you they don't work. Sure, kids who eat peanut butter may not sit at that table. But when the tables are wiped after each class, do you really think the cafeteria worker washing the tables uses a separate cloth to clean that table? I wish I could find the article I read last week or so about testing done on "peanut free" tables. The peanut proteins were still found to be present on those tables. I don't have an allergic child, but our school recently went peanut free due to a severe allergy. No complaints were filed. And if they see a child with peanut products, that product is confiscated and either thrown away or held in the office until the end of the day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Peanut free tables work. My kid doesn't really like pb anyways.

LadyNCVE
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Well brains, The only thing on your list that we might eat with soy is cereal. I cook from scratch and don't use fillers. Those are terrible examples anyway. What kid snacks on half those things? And soy isn't on anyone's hands after eating a sandwich. Nice try.

Quoting mcdun: News flash soy is in everything including most of the snacks they are snacking on read the back of the lables dumb ass. Foods That  Contain SoyThese foods often contain soy. Most of these things my son can't eat I have to go to special stores to get peanut butter that doesn't have soy or make my own. He can't even eat Cheese its because they have soy.  So suck it up and stop being an ignorant cow. Asian cuisineBaked goods and baking mixesBouillon cubesCandyCerealChicken (raw or cooked) that is processed with chicken brothChicken brothChocolateDeli meatsEnergy bars, nutrition barsImitation dairy foods, such as soy milks, vegan cheese, or vegan ice creamInfant formulaMargarineMayonnaiseMeat products with fillers, for example, burgers or sausagesNutrition supplements (vitamins)Peanut butter and peanut butter substitutesProtein powdersSauces, gravies, and soupsSmoothiesVegetable brothVegetarian meat substitutes: veggie burgers, imitation chicken patties, imitation lunch meats, imitation bacon bits, etc.Quoting LadyNCVE: Kids In elementary school aren't exactly snacking on soy all the time. Would you feel differently if soy sandwiches were an American favorite and half the students were eating them daily?

Quoting mcdun: I think it's stupid to ban a food from a school because of one child. I would ignore it too, but I would also tell my children never ever share any food with another child and to wash their hands after they eat said food. My son has a soy allergy but i'm not going to go around asking everyone to keep the soy at home! 
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:56 PM

Oh my...I didn't even knew that. My cousin is allergic to peanuts, but not that severe. Me, personally, I don't care if my kids will not eat peanuts in school, not a big deal at all. 

Quoting texasgirl77: Some people have peanut allergies so severe that if that child were to eat a peanut butter sandwich, touch the door knob with peanut residue on their hands and then the allergic child touch the same door knob (or desk, pencil, crayon, etc) that allergic child could die from that exposure. Not all people react only when they eat a peanut.

If a child eats a pb&j sandwich then accidentally coughs on or near that other child, that's exposing the other child. I've even heard of elementary age kids purposely touching an allergic child with peanut products to see if they will react to it. Personally, I'd rather just tell my child they can't eat peanut products at school than to endanger another child's life. My child can wait and eat he peanut butter at home, and she actually checks everything she takes to school herself because she has compassion for her allergic classmates.

Quoting Anonymous: I don't want to sound rude, just curious. Why moms are upset if other kids eat peanuts? Isn't it easier to teach the kids not to eat someone else's lunch, than making everyone go on nut-free diet. My kids don't have any allergies(which I'm very thankful, I can't imagine how hard it is to have an allergic child) and they know not to eat someone else's food.

Quoting Alchemist_Momma: As a mom with a kid with a peanut allergy, I'm just going to stay quiet on this topic. My opinion is NOT a popular one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN