Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stop eating beef!!!! Seriously! And CHICKEN too!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:31 AM
  • 239 Replies

Does anyone eat venison instead of beef? And Rabit instead of chicken?

If you do, what is your favorite way to cook it? 

We just use it in place of beef so far. This is our first year really doing it though. We didnt get out own deer but a bunch of friends gave us some from theirs. Next year we will be getting our own for sure though. We have about 12 large roasts and some steaks. No ground this year.

This summer we are going to get rabbits to keep in our back yard. For the sole purpose of eating them and breeding them to eat their babies when they are bigger. Rabit meat is much for you then chicken is.

Next year we plan on using ZERO beef for anything, just venison. Knowing where out meat comes from is becoming more important to me. Not only that but its much healthier than beef. Id love to phase out store bought meat all together to be perfectly honest. We get chicken breasts but thats it. I wish I could have chickens in my back yard.. lol

Fat Content

Unlike beef, which is high in fat, venison is low in fat and saturated fat. In 4 ounces of venison, there are 8 grams of fat and 4 grams of saturated fat. In 4 ounces of 70/30 beef, there are 32 grams of fat and 12 grams of saturated fat. For added heart benefits, venison is naturally low in cholesterol, making it the ideal food for individuals who are prone to heart disease or other heart complications. Specifically, the cardiovascular benefits of consuming venison include lower risk of heart attack, prevention of atherosclerosis, lower risk of stroke and prevention of diabetic heart disease.

Protein Content

Because protein is an important part of your daily diet, providing fuel for your muscles, it’s important to know which foods are rich in protein. In 4 ounces of venison, there are almost 35 grams of protein. In 4 ounces of 70/30 beef, there is 16 grams of protein. Venison has been shown to support muscle health, so it is wise to find ways of incorporating venison into your diet.

Calories

In a 4 ounce serving of venison, there are approximately 180 calories. In contrast, 4 ounces of 70/30 beef has 372 calories. When trying to eat a healthy diet or counting calories in an attempt to lose weight or decrease body fat, noting such a drastic difference in calories is important.

Hormone-Free

With the exception of purchasing grain-fed or organic beef products, cows are a farm-produced animal. In these farm-produced animals, hormone implants and antibiotics are sometimes added to the cow’s diet as a growth stimulant. When eating venison, you can feel confident that the animal has not been raised on a diet of hormone implants and steroids.

Iron

Iron is a critical component of hemoglobin within the body, necessary for transporting oxygen to the body cells from the lungs. In one 4 ounce serving of venison, there are approximately 8 mg of iron.

Additional Nutrients

Additional vitamins and nutrients that can be found in venison include:

• Vitamin B1
  • Vitamin B2
  • Vitamin B3
  • Vitamin B5
  • Vitamin B6
  • Vitamin B12
  • Folate
  • Vitamin  D
  • Vitamin E
  • Phosphorus
  • Selenium
  • Copper
  • Zinc
  • Magnesium
  • Manganese
  • Potassium
  • Omega 3 fatty acids
  • Amino acids

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CynderGinger
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Its delish. I myself have never cooked it. Have you ever tried bear?

Quoting Click_Queen:

We just use it in place of beef so far. This is our first year really doing it though. We didnt get out own deer but a bunch of friends gave us some from theirs. Next year we will be getting our own for sure though. We have about 12 large roasts and some steaks. No ground. 

barrelracer1699
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:32 AM

We do roast, steaks and ground. my mil cuts them in to chunks and pan frys them with garlic salt.

caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:34 AM
yes. love it!!!!!! i dont care for it ground though because to me its quite tough but steaks and as a roast is delicious!!!! i also like deer jerky and deer sausage (dunno how to make that. my dads friend does)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:35 AM
We mostly make jerky out of it, but sometimes we'll cook them as steaks or put them in a caldillo.
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:35 AM
1 mom liked this

No. But I would. :)

Quoting CynderGinger: Its delish. I myself have never cooked it. Have you ever tried bear?

Quoting Click_Queen:

We just use it in place of beef so far. This is our first year really doing it though. We didnt get out own deer but a bunch of friends gave us some from theirs. Next year we will be getting our own for sure though. We have about 12 large roasts and some steaks. No ground. 

Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM

Yummy!

Quoting barrelracer1699:

We do roast, steaks and ground. my mil cuts them in to chunks and pan frys them with garlic salt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:36 AM
3 moms liked this
Deer chili. Best thing ever. Is give you a recipe but my dad just starts throwing stuff in the crock pot and always comes out with perfect chili.
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:37 AM

Yummmmy

Quoting caligirl7613: yes. love it!!!!!! i dont care for it ground though because to me its quite tough but steaks and as a roast is delicious!!!! i also like deer jerky and deer sausage (dunno how to make that. my dads friend does)

pasteeater_too
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:38 AM
1 mom liked this
I haven't eaten beef in three year. I don't eat deer or pork either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Thats what I do. haha!

Quoting Anonymous: Deer chili. Best thing ever. Is give you a recipe but my dad just starts throwing stuff in the crock pot and always comes out with perfect chili.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN