Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SS has a Learning Disability but the school could give two SH**S!

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM
  • 223 Replies

They won't LISTEN TO ME!

I am at a loss. SS is in 6th grade and has always had trouble reading.

In the 4th grade he was diagnosed ADHD, we put him on meds, he had an amazing teacher, and he improved his reading by 3 entire grade levels in one year! By the time he moved onto 5th grade he was reading at 6th grade level.

In 5th grade he did ok. Not great, but not horrible. It was more of an organization issue than anything.

With the support of his doctor, we took him off his meds for 6th grade. We all agreed that he may actually do really well since his is not sitting in one place for too long or having to focus on one subject too long.

This year he was doing great until second quarter. Since then his reading has been horrible and it is effecting every aspect of school. He has poor grades in every class because he is now reading to learn, not learning to read!

We have had two meetings with the school already and a 3rd on Tuesday regarding what we are going to do. DH and I have done our part. Along with actually re-educating ourselves in every subject and basically gaining every bit of knowledge on the subjects he struggles in so that we are more effective "teachers", we put him back on his meds too.

However, we have seen little improvement. His grades continue to drop.

Our meeting on Tuesday is regarding some testing results, as I insisted he get retested in the area of reading and language arts. I already know what they are going to tell me.. they were reluctant to re-test in the first place (last time they tested was 3 years ago). I'm sure they are going to say he doesn't qualify for services. And I swear I'm going to cry!

He is dyslexic. We don't have a medical diagnosis, but the Center for Behavioral Health did some testing and determined he was ADHD (mostly ADD) and Dyslexic. But we live in Missouri and our state does not recognize Dyslexia as a learning disability that qualifies him for Special Ed services in Reading. No lie.

The problem is when they test him, they use a method that only requires him to read and comprehend a short passage. He is fine with that. He can read one paragraph all day long and understand enough to answer generalized questions about it. But give him a chapter, or a text book and he is lost. It's too much for him. Overwhelming... and the teachers don't get it.

We don't know what else to do to get the schools attention on this matter. He is failing because of this and the teachers just label him as lazy. They don't listen to us and they won't offer any additional reading help =(

:-(

by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:36 PM
5 moms liked this
Can he get a 504 instead of an IEP?
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm in Illinois and a diagnosis of ADHD could qualify a child with OHI (other health impairment) to receive IEP services. I'm sorry the school isn't offering to do more.

Have you tried going higher up, to the head of special education or even the superintendent? When parents go above the principal the district is more likely to LISTEN.

working-girl
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I am honestly not well versed in all of this stuff. I only knew of an IEP and IDEA? 504 is new to me. You don't need to explain it... I can google it. But thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Can he get a 504 instead of an IEP?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I assume he is in middle school now? That is a huge transition.  He may need to go back on the meds. The schools expect the kids to be pretty much independent now and he is obviously not going to get the same attention he had in elementary school.

JustMeKat
by Kat on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM
2 moms liked this

He would benefit from this link an insist he be tested with the principle I did an my son did wonderful, he actually graduated out of the program last year an is now a freshman in high school, he's a totally different kid but it took A LOT of persistence.

Good Luck

www.snapspecialneeds.com

working-girl
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM

He has an IEP for writing expression which is about to expire. His writing is improving. The Dyslexia he has is Auditory...  not the kind where he flips numbers and letters.

I was just reviewing the 504 and it does state that the school can refuse 504 evaluation if they don't think there is a disability.

Guess that's that. The school thinks he's lazy, and that's all.

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Can he get a 504 instead of an IEP?

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:44 PM
4 moms liked this
You can always get him a private tutor
working-girl
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting silverdawn99: You can always get him a private tutor

There is a LD center about 45 minutes from us and they have tutors that specialize in dyslexia. But we don't have the money for that. They charge nearly $50 an hour and would need at least 3 hours of tutoring a week... not to mention the fuel it would take us to get back and forth... we don't have $700 a month to spend on this.

I suppose we could go once a week, but an hour a week would be lost on him... and a waist of money because he needs consistant, consecutive sessions.. not just once every 7 days.

sissy502
by Gold Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:52 PM
4 moms liked this

Mama... just a tip (i too have adhd/add kid) .... 

I can generally tell when it's her disability getting in her way & when it's not.

All kids go through a lazy period. (work just gets so hard that they just don't try as hard anymore)

Address the "laziness" ... jump on that hard just as you would if you found out he had cancer or something.

But, don't give up the battle to get him retested & force them to see the bigger picture.

But if you go in with the "my child is not lazy" attitude ... you are not going to appear to be a team player. Of course your kid is lazy... at some point ALL kids get lazy about working hard. Just deal with that..... and move on to what you KNOW the BIG problem is. His LD!!!

Good luck mama....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:55 PM
11 moms liked this
Why is it the schools job to bend over backwards to accommodate him? He needs to learn to try himself and control himself. By 6th grade he should be aware enough to know what to do.

You need to quit trying to baby him, life doesn't cater to people. He's old enough to do things himself and if he doesn't want to put in the effort, that's on him. He's almost a teen, time for him to take responsibility.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)