Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Help! My 6 year old keeps stealing!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 16 Replies
It started out to be small things, like something from his classroom, I made him return the items and tell his teacher sorry. It kept happening so I walked him to his classroom and the teacher and I talked to him together. Still continues, I grounded him, punished him, etc. Next time I gave his kindle to his teacher, because he keeps taking her stuff. Finally I took him to the police station where a cop talked to him. The other day I found these tool type things in the house and I laid them on the curio cabinet going to ask my DH to put them outside, well I forgot about them and my husband saw them this morning and asked me where they came from. My husband and son went to Lowes last weekend, and after some questioning my son, he confessed to stealing them. He is now grounded this weekend and we will be going to Lowes to return them. My husband is freaking out thinking they will call the cops and our son will go to juvenile.

I am at a loss, I don't know what to do anymore, he keeps doing this no matter what we do, please help! :(
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
destiny3513
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:48 AM

BUMP!

destiny3513
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:49 AM

No idea. Counseling? Good luck.

victoriangavin
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
At that age getting caught might be what he needs..... next time they go to Lowes have your husband talk to one of the managers alone and explain the situation. Let them know you've exhausted your options and you need him to get "caught" stealing before it becomes a bigger issue.... have that manager kinda follow him around and catch him. Kid won't know that he was warned so maybe he will learn his lesson
luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:52 AM
He's pretty young.

I think counseling at this point. Maybe he's lacking impulse control? Well obviously but it might be something a counselor can help with cause I think you have done all that you can.
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this
If you know he steals, why didn't you husband pay more attention to him at Lowe's? He's 6. He should be pretty close to you guys when you're in public at a store. How stealthy can a 6 year old be that not one of you noticed him stealing?
If this isn't a troll post, you need to be on his butt when you're out. I'd make him ride in the cart and turn out his pockets before you leave a store. I'd also be speaking to a counselor since it sounds like you have a little klepto on your hands and no punishment in the world is going to fix it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:51 AM
No, this is not a troll post. And I don't know why my husband did not have a better handle on our son, or put him in the cart, I always do because he has ADHD and acts wild in the store if I don't put him in a cart. I know my husband came home bitching because our son was acting wild in the store, messing with stuff, climbing on stuff, etc. I was not with them, I work overnights, so I was home sleeping.

I do not condone the lack of discipline my husband uses with our children, we fight about it all the time. My husband has this thing where he'll tell the children "stop doing that" a couple times, and they will keep on and he will the just say "oh well, do it, you're going to anyways". Then he will go to bitching about how they don't listen to them, and I am constantly telling him, you're the parent, be more assertive with them! It drives me crazy! He gets mad at me then when I tell him that. Just like he got mad at me when I said I'm taking him to Lowes to return the stuff he stole. When I told him I doubt they will call police, he called me a know it all and got pissy.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom: If you know he steals, why didn't you husband pay more attention to him at Lowe's? He's 6. He should be pretty close to you guys when you're in public at a store. How stealthy can a 6 year old be that not one of you noticed him stealing?
If this isn't a troll post, you need to be on his butt when you're out. I'd make him ride in the cart and turn out his pockets before you leave a store. I'd also be speaking to a counselor since it sounds like you have a little klepto on your hands and no punishment on the world is going to fix it.
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Hmmm, I wonder if your son does it for attention then? He knows that you will give him attention, eve negative, but he wants a reaction out of his Dad that he isn't getting. That's just a thought. Regardless, that's just as much a a problem as if he has impulse control or some other illness. Kids act out for all different reasons. I would talk to a professional.

Quoting Anonymous: No, this is not a troll post. And I don't know why my husband did not have a better handle on our son, or put him in the cart, I always do because he has ADHD and acts wild in the store if I don't put him in a cart. I know my husband came home bitching because our son was acting wild in the store, messing with stuff, climbing on stuff, etc. I was not with them, I work overnights, so I was home sleeping.

I do not condone the lack of discipline my husband uses with our children, we fight about it all the time. My husband has this thing where he'll tell the children "stop doing that" a couple times, and they will keep on and he will the just say "oh well, do it, you're going to anyways". Then he will go to bitching about how they don't listen to them, and I am constantly telling him, you're the parent, be more assertive with them! It drives me crazy! He gets mad at me then when I tell him that. Just like he got mad at me when I said I'm taking him to Lowes to return the stuff he stole. When I told him I doubt they will call police, he called me a know it all and got pissy.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom: If you know he steals, why didn't you husband pay more attention to him at Lowe's? He's 6. He should be pretty close to you guys when you're in public at a store. How stealthy can a 6 year old be that not one of you noticed him stealing?
If this isn't a troll post, you need to be on his butt when you're out. I'd make him ride in the cart and turn out his pockets before you leave a store. I'd also be speaking to a counselor since it sounds like you have a little klepto on your hands and no punishment on the world is going to fix it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2014 at 8:58 AM
I took him to school today and told his teacher he is to be excluded from any fun activities. He is going to return the item to Lowes tomorrow, and I am having him pick up trash on the side of the road we live on. He is also grounded at home, no TV, no toys, etc., he will sit on his bed or the couch and read a book.

I am calling his pediatrician today and going to see if I can get him seen by her this afternoon and see what she recommends, and refer us to a counselor. I am also going to speak to the school counselor, I started to this morning, but she was in a meeting.

Quoting luckysevenwow: He's pretty young.

I think counseling at this point. Maybe he's lacking impulse control? Well obviously but it might be something a counselor can help with cause I think you have done all that you can.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:05 AM
I don't know, it's just been recent he started this, maybe a couple months. It's like you said, no impulse control, cause we ask why he took something, it's either "I don't know" or "I wanted it". When we tell him that bad people steal and go to jail, he gets upset that he doesn't want to go to jail. He understands the consequences and it's like he doesn't think about that. He steals and we catch him/find it, and he lies, until we get it out of him.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Hmmm, I wonder if your son does it for attention then? He knows that you will give him attention, eve negative, but he wants a reaction out of his Dad that he isn't getting. That's just a thought. Regardless, that's just as much a a problem as if he has impulse control or some other illness. Kids act out for all different reasons. I would talk to a professional.

Quoting Anonymous: No, this is not a troll post. And I don't know why my husband did not have a better handle on our son, or put him in the cart, I always do because he has ADHD and acts wild in the store if I don't put him in a cart. I know my husband came home bitching because our son was acting wild in the store, messing with stuff, climbing on stuff, etc. I was not with them, I work overnights, so I was home sleeping.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM
My opinion is not popular so I'll keep it to myself. Good luck with the clepto.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)