Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I call a lawyer? He could have died.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
My brother had a psychotic episode on Wednesday. He was taken to the hospital by paramedics and they were followed by the sheriff. Anyway he was gonna be admitted to the psychiatric ward but he has no insurance so the hospital decided to transfer him to another facility for mental patients without insurance. I don't what happened but he managed to walk out of the hospital and walked 15 miles back to my house. It took him 2 days. He is still delusional and doesn't know how he got to my house. Only that he walked. When I called the hospital to find out what happened, they're saying they dont know. My brother is 30. Should I call a lawyer? Isn't that negligence? I mean, he could have hurt himself or someone else.
Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I would and see what they say
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I would, that's fucking ridiculous.

cfcf
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Was he commited or free to leave AMA?

Call an attorney anyway if you want. Most do free consultations.
desertlvn
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:15 PM
But he wasn't hurt. If something had had happened I'd say absolutely yes. But he is okay and no damage occurred.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:17 PM
I know he's fine but the fact that a mental patient was just able to walk out is wrong. Don't you think? Negligence is negligence.

Quoting desertlvn: But he wasn't hurt. If something had had happened I'd say absolutely yes. But he is okay and no damage occurred.
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:19 PM
He is 30. They escape all the time
BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:19 PM
Honestly there probably isn't much that you can do but if I was in your shoes I would definitely consult a lawyer.

If they didn't think he was enough of a risk to be monitored more carefully them the hospital will probably say that you and/or your brother are exaggerating his episode. Sadly I've seen this happen.
Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:20 PM
I don't know. Was he actually committed?
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Was he actually committed? Because otherwise you're free to leave when you want. You aren't a prisoner there... Most times...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Jan. 31, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Absolutely
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN