Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If your pet was dying in excruciating pain....

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM
  • 133 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you put it down yourself if you couldnt get to a vet?

Options:

Yes, I wouldnt want it to die in agony

No, I would let it suffer until it died.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 134

View Results

And you had no way/how to get them to a vet to have them humanely put down, would you do it yourself. Would you let them spend hours and hours in agony dying in absolute pain?

A lady in one of the facebook groups im on (one for pet discussion) had a ferret. It swallowed something and it got stuck in its intestines. It took over 15 hours to die. She was asking for advice, but shot down every single suggestion we gave her. She had endless excuses as to why she couldnt go to a vet, why she couldnt afford it, why no one could drive her, etc etc. Someone even offered to drive her but she refused. I suggested she humanely put it down at home instead of letting it suffer in extreme pain until it died. So many people were shocked and disgusted that I suggested it. Do people really think its acceptable to let their pets die in agony over such a long period of time and do absolutely nothing?

by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I totally understand your reasoning, I would just find that impossible to do myself.

ashellbell
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:55 PM
I would put it down. My sister and her husband had a dog that was 9 and ended up getting cancer, they opted to give him treatment instead of putting him down. The treatments worked for about a year, then one night the poor dog just started seizing, shitting and vomiting blood. The closest emergency bet was over an hour away so they ended up giving him a handful of Xanax and he fell asleep.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Other. I wouldn't let it die in agony, but I couldn't do it myself. I'd find somebody.

anotherhalf
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM

My dh has put down several animals (not pets).  I'm sure it would kill him inside but he would do it.  I'd be a sobbing mess, but I would do it if he weren't around.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Our geniepig died stopped eating nothing I could do and no vet would see us because she was older. She stopped eating on a Monday and died Thursday night. I certainly never thought about killing her even when she was suffering.
doomsie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM
May i ask how a person can humanely put down the animal if you cannot bring it to a vet? Just wondering.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Put it down how? Shooting it?

Click_Queen
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Snap its neck, shoot it in the head.

Quoting doomsie: May i ask how a person can humanely put down the animal if you cannot bring it to a vet? Just wondering.

TheDrsRose
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you humanely kill a pet at home? I can only think of shooting and I don't own a gun and wouldn't dare ask my friends who do own guns to do it..  I guess she would suffer in pain while I laid next to her trying to make her as comfortable as possible.. It feels selfish to say it,but after having her for 9 years,I would want a few more hours to say good bye if I knew her end was coming..

This is bumming me out. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jan. 31, 2014 at 7:59 PM
I've had to put down some of my own pets before.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured