Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

calling all cm doctors

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:59 PM
  • 6 Replies
Aside from a chest xray, how do you tell the difference between the flu and pneumonia. Looking online, I'm realizing that they are easily confused with each other. I have the usual flu symptoms like fever, chills, body aches, fatigue, weakness. But I also have this terrible cough that burns my lungs and makes it hard to breathe.

I know the flu can only be treated with rest and fluids, but pneumonia needs an antibiotic in most cases. I don't want to drag my ass to the er (which is my only option over the weekend) for them to tell me there's nothing they can do for me. I'm too sick to deal with that. But if it is pneumonia I don't want to do nothing and have it get worse.

Anybody know a definite way to tell the difference between the two?
by on Jan. 31, 2014 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
pmsforlife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:01 AM
It sounds like the flu, but I as a medical professional advise you to see a Dr. at the er
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:08 AM
What can I do about the flu aside from fluids an rest? I think it's too late for tamiflu to do anything for me.

Quoting pmsforlife: It sounds like the flu, but I as a medical professional advise you to see a Dr. at the er
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:11 AM
I would go in to be seen.
pmsforlife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Rest is good, but if possible stay somewhat active. It keeps everything inside you going a little faster. Water and light colored drinks. If you have fever don't bundle up! I can only suggest otc meds

Quoting briansmommy2010: What can I do about the flu aside from fluids an rest? I think it's too late for tamiflu to do anything for me.

Quoting pmsforlife: It sounds like the flu, but I as a medical professional advise you to see a Dr. at the er
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:14 AM
The not bundling up is the problem I'm having. I'm having such horrible chills that it's making my muscles hurt, but I know bundling up isn't a good idea.

Quoting pmsforlife: Rest is good, but if possible stay somewhat active. It keeps everything inside you going a little faster. Water and light colored drinks. If you have fever don't bundle up! I can only suggest otc meds

Quoting briansmommy2010: What can I do about the flu aside from fluids an rest? I think it's too late for tamiflu to do anything for me.

pmsforlife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 12:18 AM
Try a warm cloth on your neck

Quoting briansmommy2010: The not bundling up is the problem I'm having. I'm having such horrible chills that it's making my muscles hurt, but I know bundling up isn't a good idea.

Quoting pmsforlife: Rest is good, but if possible stay somewhat active. It keeps everything inside you going a little faster. Water and light colored drinks. If you have fever don't bundle up! I can only suggest otc meds

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)