Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tax question...

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:16 PM
  • 28 Replies

If you were broke as a joke, like I was last year.... Did you have any federal tax withheld? How does that work when filing a return?

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WaffleHead
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

How would you not pay federal taxes? You can't choose not to pay them, can you? Am I missing something?

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Did you have a job last year?

o.O....
by Cara on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I have no idea... I'm confused. I'm looking at my w-2 right now and it shows where I paid ss and medicare, but the federal box is empty... When I did my w-4 I put accurate info in...?

Quoting WaffleHead:

How would you not pay federal taxes? You can't choose not to pay them, can you? Am I missing something?

mcdun
The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling. Lucretius
Yesterday at 9:21 PM
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:20 PM

My husband claims 0 on his taxes because one year we claimed 3 (eventhough we could have claimed 4) and we owed $75 but we had our taxes done by H&R Block and they did them wrong so we got a return of $500 we ended up owing $500 + $75 with intrest it was $1900 

we can't afford that again so we suffer while he claims 0 I now do all the taxes and this year we're gettin over 8k back in taxes so it's all good! 

o.O....
by Cara on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Yeah, I was a server. They took out ss and medicare taxes, but no federal...

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Maybe if she were a sub contractor but then she would get a 1099.

Quoting WaffleHead:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking. My attorney just tells me where to sign and that's as much as I'm involved with the process. Here's a bump tho.
JZB
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM
How much did u make last yr
o.O....
by Cara on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:21 PM

So is it just estimated that I won't owe because of my kids, so they're just not withholding anything?

Quoting mcdun:

My husband claims 0 on his taxes because one year we claimed 3 (eventhough we could have claimed 4) and we owed $75 but we had our taxes done by H&R Block and they did them wrong so we got a return of $500 we ended up owing $500 + $75 with intrest it was $1900 

we can't afford that again so we suffer while he claims 0 but this year we're gettin over 8k back in taxes so it's all good! 

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 3:22 PM

How long did you work? If you make under a certain amount they don't have to take federal taxes out. Example, I got a job in December 2012 and they didn't take out federal taxes on my W-2 for 2012.

Quoting o.O....:

Yeah, I was a server. They took out ss and medicare taxes, but no federal...

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)