Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How sad parents today are.

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:37 PM
  • 139 Replies
1 mom liked this

DS and I just got back from playing outside.  There is a snowstorm moving in, so I took full advantage and headed out into the field out back!  A huge field of freshly falled snow with a big hill was too much to resist!

It wasn't long before some kids from our building came out and joined us.

It was SO much fun.  I led the kids in a snowball fight and then we all made snowmen.

However, I did get 2 strange comments from the other moms and I noticed something that I thought was weird.  Maybe it's just me?

One mom when she came out I said "Hi!  Isn't this great?" and smiled.  Just a greeting, and she said (without smiling so I wasn't sure if she was joking) "well, once my daughter saw you guys out here she wouldn't stop bugging me to come out, so I didn't have much choice."  Um.  Ok.  I just said "oh" and went down the hill (she was standing at the top, I was about to sled down).

Another mom soon came out while I was making a snowman with ds, and she asked me "Where did you get those snowpants?"  I told her from National Sports and she said "Oh, I didn't knwo they made snowpants in adult sizes"  huh?  Why would you think that? Was she being snide?

The entire time ds and I were playing, I ended up playing with the other kids too, because both the moms just stood off to the side texting on their phones.

Am I the only one who thinks that is super weird?

by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catcameback
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM

BUMP!

MonarchMom22
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:40 PM
8 moms liked this

I've encountered this type of thing too.  We let our guys explore a stream in the park, while we were sitting nearby. They were crossing the 6" stream by stepping from rock -to -rock, floating leaves downstream, and just exploring the water and banks.  

Other parents actually got angry - because now they're children also wanted to have fun and might get wet or dirty!  Jeeze, what happened to fun?

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:42 PM
I see this all the time. It's sad.
leasea
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM
6 moms liked this

She's never heard of skiing?  What does she think adults wear on the slope?

crysiann
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's very strange that parents won't play with their kids in the snow. I love it! And I have adult size snow pants too! :)
Arwyn724
by on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate cold weather & especially snow.  But I have kids and huskies, so I suck it up and go out.  But I'd never think it was great or wonderful.  It isn't weird to me at all.

catcameback

Apparently it's too inconvienant to go out and enjoy nice weather?  idk.  It's sad.

Quoting MonarchMom22:

I've encountered this type of thing too.  We let our guys explore a stream in the park, while we were sitting nearby. They were crossing the 6" stream by stepping from rock -to -rock, floating leaves downstream, and just exploring the water and banks.  

Other parents actually got angry - because now they're children also wanted to have fun and might get wet or dirty!  Jeeze, what happened to fun?

smurfbitebug
1 mom liked this
Look at it this way. Is someone who doesn't understand that snow pants are a good decision for any wardrobe for someone who actually goes outdoors (in colder climates), and not just for children, someone you really want to get to know anyways? It seems like this may have been an extreme clash in lifestyles. They seem they might just be the indoor type. The kind of people who think shopping is their fun hobby. Know what I mean?
me_plus3
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM
My cousins are those parents! Thanksgiving before last we had a big family get together and out of 10 parents I was the only one playing in the yard with all 13 kids. One parent had a good excuse, she had her daughter a month before. The rest just looked at me weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AndOne
by Bronze Member on Feb. 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Yes, I've encountered that as well. People get really uptight that their child could get dirty, or have fun. Good for you for playing with all the kids. I bet the kids were glad that you were there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN