Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Cops Deliberately Cut Woman's Hair Weave off

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 131 Replies

Video in link

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2014/02/01/22536283-video-showing-cop-forcibly-cutting-womans-hair-weave-makes-waves?lite

Surveillance video captures a Michigan police officer cutting the hair of a woman while in custody.

Disturbing new video showing a Michigan police officer hacking off the hair weave of a young woman arrested in November is stirring controversy on social media.

In the video, Charda Gregory, 23, of Detroit is tied in a restraining chair by four officers in Warren, Mich., before a female officer rips and cuts at her long braids. Gregory appears to protest and react physically, but the officer doesn’t stop until the entire weave is removed from her head.

Gregory was arrested for allegedly damaging a motel room and police car in suburban Detroit, but charges against her were dropped, according to NBC affiliate WDIV.

Police Officer Bernadette Najor, who administered the violent haircut, said she did so because weaves pose a suicide risk, WDIV reported. Najor was suspended and later fired.  

At the time, Warren Police Commissioner Jere Green said Najor clearly violated policy.  

“There’s a real simple thing: it’s called right and wrong.  And to me this is something that I won’t tolerate, I don’t think the citizens of Warren will tolerate it,”he said. "We are always in the process of reviewing things that happen and trying to make ourselves better and more responsible to the people we work for."

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:17 AM
That's terrible.
N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:20 AM
10 moms liked this

At least they fired that cop. Half the time cops do whatever the hell they want with absolutely no consequence.

Mrs-Somerhalder
by Blake on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:21 AM
Wtf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
What was their reasoning? We're they just being hateful or was there a safety issue or something?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Can you elaborate?

Quoting N_maricle:

At least they fired that cop. Half the time cops do whatever the hell they want with absolutely no consequence.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:23 AM

She was fired.....unless they didn't do anything about the officer that was out of line, I don't see what else can be said.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM
You do have to take out extensions if in jail.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM
It wasn't weave!
N_maricle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I keep seeing stories about police brutality and it seems the officers are put on leave for a while but ultimately keep their jobs. 

Quoting Anonymous: Can you elaborate?

Quoting N_maricle:

IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm not her, but she's not too far off base with that. Maybe not half, but many police officers and prison guards think they have a right to be cruel and do subhuman things to inmates or people who've just been arrested.
People are treated inhumanely in our prisons quite often, more than we'd like to believe.

Quoting Anonymous: Can you elaborate?

Quoting N_maricle:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)