Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

12 month old monster!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
I have a few questions, please!

Is it normal for a 12 month old to have fits in stores when she points to something she sees and likes, but doesn't get it?
Is it normal for a 12 month old to hit when she doesn't get her way and throw things?
Is it normal for a 12 month old to yell and kick and cry when you pick her up when she wants to be on the floor?

I don't spank. Nobody spanks my child, in fact.
But I feel like my methods are not working.
When she hits me, I firmly say "NO hitting. That's not nice."
I've taken toys away from her for throwing them.
I mean, what else can I do to a one year old??
It's not helping.... She's gotten me with her nail and left a scratch that bled on my nose!
She gets so mad.

My daughter can honestly be very bratty. And I'm worried, because she's not 2 yet.
Is it even possible for the Terrible 2's to come a YEAR early?!
I didn't think one year olds had tantrums. I thought that was a little young for this. I guess I was wrong. And really, she started this around 10 months. But now it's really picked up. Holy shit.
Any advice on the matter, and when did your child start having fits??
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Distraction is your best friend at that age....

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Parenting classes, dear, would do you a world of good.  "fits' is a term used to describe seizures.  

VicVinegar
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:55 AM

That's normal. Most likely she is frustrated because she can't tell you what she wants. My 14month old has been known to hit and throw tantrums yelling and hitting the floor, you can clearly see how frustrated he gets. The only thing you can really do is redirect her attention. Firmly tell her NO when she hits and then try and distract  her with something else. 

It will get a lot easier once she can tell you exactly what it is that's bothering her

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Sign language would help you to understand each other better...look into it

VicVinegar
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM
3 moms liked this

Lol! Whatever.

My 14month old throws fits sometimes, also called tantrums. 

Etiquette classes, dear, would do you a world of good. Maybe then you would learn how to give advice instead of insults

Quoting Anonymous:

Parenting classes, dear, would do you a world of good.  "fits' is a term used to describe seizures.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM
My kids never had fits like this. My daughter is almost 2 and my son is 3.5. The "terrible two's" were not terrible for my son. I loved that age.

We do not spank either. At 1, you cant do most of my methods cause they include communication.

But when she hits, I wouls tell her No, thats not ok and we do not hit. Then I would take her hand and show her gentle touches and how to be nice.

When she throws a fit, I would tell her no, distract her, and if it continued sit her in a time out.

What is her day to day diet? How many words can she say?
Jessicamarquez
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I have seen a few tantrum from my 1 year old but distracting her with something new and redirecting her woks. I understand she's just young and doesn't know yet how to better communicate so I will hold and speak with her. Remember she or he feels your stress so if you get mad you need to cool off before handling her because it's only going to make the situation worse.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Normal. But not something to ignore.
Gentle reminders to "be gentle" and redirection work at this age.
And also signing like the others mentioned.
DS has some delays and we started signing and its helped his frustration in not being able to understand what's going on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN