Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm having a Child-free baby shower...but then...

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM
  • 160 Replies
1 mom liked this

So currently me and my mother are co-hosting my baby shower. I do NOT want children at my shower, I know that seems kinda harsh but some of the children in my family are rude and mean. I can't exclude just the select few and allow the others to come. That's just rude in my opinion. However my mom thinks that my SIL daughter should be allowed to come (my mom adores this child and loves her to death she can do no wrong) she's not a bad kid but I am NOT allowing any children for a reason. If she comes they all come and I'm sorry but NO. 

Is this rude? Did you have a childfree shower? How would ou handle this?

***Let me also add we are playing some pretty off games that many parents would be offended if their child played or was even around. (EX. Pin the sperm on the egg) and many others of that nature.***

by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HousewifeNina
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM
4 moms liked this
I've never heard of a child free baby shower.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:19 AM
My last baby shower was for specifically designed for my daughter's friends. I wanted her and her friends to be a part of everything. We had a great time!
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally am not one to exclude children from things like baby showers. I just wanted to celebrate my new addition with my loved ones.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this

You clearly don't have kids yet lol. What are you gonna do?!

Thunderbug75
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I would never have a child free shower.  I just don't understand your reasoning.  Personally, I would not attend your shower.  But, hey, it's your party do what you want.  And yes I agree that all kids should be banned no exceptions to prevent lotsof hurt feelings. 

ARPsMom
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:22 AM
My SIL had a kid free baby shower but that was because MIL had to pay $9 a plate for food. However my son came but that was because at the time he was the only grandchild and MIL insisted.
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:26 AM
No. I don't understand child free things.
Especially if you are making exceptions.
my uncle and his wife do this, but this doesn't apply to her nephew.
We have to come from out of state, so that means leaving my kids hours away.
And then they act offended that I never go to things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:30 AM
I had my nieces at my baby shower, but they were old enough to understand and enjoy themselves. Most of the baby showers I have been to have not had young children at them, and the couple that did, the kids were pretty obnoxious ... grabbing presents and "helping" unwrap them ... throwing the gifts around etc. You could tell the mom to be was upset but didn't want to say anything because the mom was right there watching and apparently thinking it was ok or cute. You seem to know the behavior of the kids in question already so I don't blame you. Is your niece maybe older than the other kids so you can use that reasoning?
Koltie6
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:31 AM
My children are more important than attending any function. You do not have a child yet but when you do i hope you treasure your time wuth them. Children are not adults and should nit be expected to act like them. It't a baby shower not the presidential inauguration.
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't care. It's your shower and I see no problem with it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)