Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which one would you choose?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you choose?

Options:

Stay

Move

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 20

View Results

Here is the situation. We are living in a house right now that we hate. It has one very small bathroom that is being shared by 6 people, the laundry room is outside, this house has absolutely no storage space (the closets are tiny. We still have things sitting around in boxes because we just have no where to put them),  it is also on a very busy 4 lane hwy (so the kids can't ride bikes or walk anywhere), and (this is by far the biggest problem) it has a roach problem that was not disclosed to us before we move in. I'm not talking about seeing a roach or two every once in a while. talking about roaches crawling up the walls, roaches on the counters and stove, roaches in the cabinets. I won't even use a dish without washing it and I am paranoid about making sure food is sealed. The upside is that we love this area and the kids love their schools, but we cannot find another house in this area that we can afford.

A few days ago, I got a call from my best friend who lives about 45 minutes away. Her neighbor is about to move to Florida and wants to put his house up for rent. It has the same number of bedrooms as this house, but it also has a formal dining room that we could probably turn into two more bedrooms - so there is a possibiity that each kid could have their own room (or at least their own area). It has a garage and a storage building (plenty of storage space) and a huge fenced in back yard (which would be great for the dogs and the kids), it's in a neighborhood (so they could ride their bikes and play). The guy isn't asking for a deposit and he's charging $50 less per month than what we are paying now. The problem is that this would be our third move and the kids' fourth new school in a year (we've rented from family and had to leave other places twice. Neither time was something we could control). The school system is also not as good as this one. It isn't terrible, just not quite as good. My son is in cub scouts with a really good troup and he would have to give that up. My oldest daughter has become active in church and the church band and she may have to give that up.DD2 is in chorus at school and she wouldn't be able to do that anymore.  I would have to find another pre-school for my youngest. Dh has a second job here and he could still do that, but his boss often has us run errands and do small jobs for extra money. We probably wouldn't be able to do those as much anymore.

This is a really big decision and I feel stuck. So, what would you do in this situation? Would you stay or would you move again?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Bump!

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I would move because of the roach problems & the space. Can't you find a place nearby so the kids can keep doing what they are doing? How old are they?
pinkfairy0206
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:43 AM
We have moved quite a few times, but luckily always the same school. So our kids have never been in a different school. How long have you been living there?? I would if I were you move again. It doesn't sound like good living conditions. The other place sounds better!
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:46 AM

We haven't been able to find a house in this area that we can afford, and I have been looking. The kids are 12.5 (girl), almost 11 (girl), 8.5 (boy) and almost 5 (girl).

Quoting Bluescorpia: I would move because of the roach problems & the space. Can't you find a place nearby so the kids can keep doing what they are doing? How old are they?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM

We will have been here for 6 months on the move date. We would also have to break our lease. I don't know how that will work, but I feel like because they didn't disclose the bug problem it will be ok. We have asked them several times to do something about it. They had someone come out and spray once and since then have pretty much acted like it was our problem.

Quoting pinkfairy0206: We have moved quite a few times, but luckily always the same school. So our kids have never been in a different school. How long have you been living there?? I would if I were you move again. It doesn't sound like good living conditions. The other place sounds better!

pinkfairy0206
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 9:51 AM
I would just move. It will suck of course but the house will be better

Quoting Anonymous:

We will have been here for 6 months on the move date. We would also have to break our lease. I don't know how that will work, but I feel like because they didn't disclose the bug problem it will be ok. We have asked them several times to do something about it. They had someone come out and spray once and since then have pretty much acted like it was our problem.

Quoting pinkfairy0206: We have moved quite a few times, but luckily always the same school. So our kids have never been in a different school. How long have you been living there?? I would if I were you move again. It doesn't sound like good living conditions. The other place sounds better!

2Hopefull
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Seems like a no brainer to me.
TexanMomOf6
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I would move.
Serabeth06
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Read your lease and see if there is a clause about breaking it. In my lease, it says if I give 30 days notice that I'm moving, they'll let me out of the lease. Meaning, if I pay one additional month of rent after I tell them I'm moving, I'm free from my lease. I'd move. I know moving is tough on the kids, but a more stable, permanent situation without roaches is so much better. Roaches carry over 30 diseases they can spread to your kids, cause asthma issues, it's a health hazard. (And you can tell your landlord that if they give you grief about your lease.)

abecee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:14 AM

The deciding factor for me is the roaches.  I'm out of there

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured