Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I went vegan for ten days...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 53 Replies
3 moms liked this

This Thursday I will turn 38.

My bio father died of a massive heart attack at 38.  (He had four in two years, the last one fatal.)

When I examined my life, I realized that I was just as unhealthy (if not more so) than he was.  I drank (a lot), I smoked, I ate HORRIBLY and got NO exercise. 

Ten days ago I decided I was going to try an experiment....I went vegan, stopped drinking entirely, went to the gym and did 30-45 mins of cardio every day AND stopped smoking.

(I chose to end my experiment on this Sunday so I could "celebrate" its conclusion while watching the Super Bowl....lol!)

Well, turns out I feel better than I have in ten years.  I have so much more energy, my skin is clear and bright, I am sleeping better, my headaches that plagued me have gone away.   I have cut my food bill pretty substantially (turns out that meat is WAY more expensive than spinach and blueberries!)

What's the downside to going totally vegan?  Is there one?  Anyone here who WAS vegan and then stopped doing it?  Anyone here who was an unhealthy slug like myself, switch TO vegan and what's your experience with it?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:18 PM

BUMP!

abecee
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM
7 moms liked this

Really?  You exerienced all that in 10 days of healthly living?  The only downside to going totally vegan is the same downside for being a vegetarian....NO BACON

sweetboys4me
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:23 PM
I have nothing to contribute. Good for you to quit all that and have a positive experience.
PeppermintyTea
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't put myself under the vegan category, but I have followed a plant based diet for years. There really is no big downside once you get used to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I think cutting out the alcohol helped a TON...maybe more than the shift in food.  But yeah. 

And bacon....sigh....I do love bacon.  I admit that. Quoting abecee:

Really?  You exerienced all that in 10 days of healthly living?  The only downside to going totally vegan is the same downside for being a vegetarian....NO BACON

Lynette
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM
9 moms liked this

thibbyk91a
by Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

i love it  ive had the same thing and not one pimple my asthma is near non existant and i have more energy im on week 3 of being a vegeterian  i havent had dairy products for 3 weeks i had one egg about a week ago and i felt sluggish the next day. I drink almond milk 

jjames1990
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this
We are vegetarian in our family. DD is vegan. I cant give up dairy, love it too much. LoL

Any who, you will probably get a rebound headache. From processed foods and caffeine and mostly sugar.Also, when I cheat, I get GI issues.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I did the same, did vegan for about 6 months, and felt great! Dh did a vegan diet for 7 years and this man, even after being on a regular diet for 10 years now, hasn't lost a single bit of muscle mass, hasn't gained a pound, is healthy as ever, to the point he and I are considering doing so again. No it's nothing we will force on the kids, this will be myself and him doing so, but really, as long as a person monitors their vitamin and mineral intake, the health benefits can be amazing.
Lynette
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a very healthy way to eat.  I would say go for it!  I tried for a bit but it was a real struggle because of multiple food allergies I have and hypoglycemia.  If I could eat soy, nuts, and gluten I would be all over that(gluten free actually wouldn't be hard as a vegan)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)