Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Explain it to me, because I really don't understand... ETA 2

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM
  • 142 Replies
6 moms liked this
Why would you NOT be an organ donor? I read multiple answers in another post about how people will not donate organs when they die, and how they wouldn't donate a loved ones organs either.

Why? Why would you choose NOT to save lives, especially since your organs will do you no good. It's not as though you'd be suffering due to your donation. You'd be dead.

I plan to donate absolutely everything that is able to be donated. And if I ever ended up having to make the decision to donate my children's organs, I would without any hesitation.

ETA:also curious - how many people that will not donate would be willing to accept an organ, either for themselves or a loved one?

ETA 2: So this wasn't enlightening at all. Virtually everyone who isn't planning to donate gave the same answer - "I don't want to, and it's my decision". That's not really an answer at all.
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
catcameback
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I will donate everything but my eyes and skin.  I do not know why not.  It just skeeves me out.  My brain is being donated for bipolar research.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Some people (not me) believe if they agree to be an organ donor doctors won't work as hard to save their lives because their organs are more valuable.

j3st3r
by Jedi on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you're referring to the post about the ten year old with the sick sister. I might be a bitch but I wouldn't endanger my child that way either. There is no risk free surgery, and living with one kidney is a lifelong struggle.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:48 PM

It's also forbidden by some religions.

opal10161973
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:49 PM

It's against some religious beliefs and that is understandable, but for any other reason, I think that's it's ridiculous not to donate.  It's not like they are going to need them for anything.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Skin I can understand...but I would happily donate my eyes. Someone can see today because my grandmother donated her eyes.

But to each his own. :)

Quoting catcameback:

I will donate everything but my eyes and skin.  I do not know why not.  It just skeeves me out.  My brain is being donated for bipolar research.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
I want to be an organ donor for sure. If I was in the position to have to decide about my child's or DH's organs, I would donate them too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I was willing to before I learnt that lifers can and do get them.F that shit.
DusterMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Actually, no, that's not the one.

I'm not referring to donating organs while you're living...not at all.

Just organ donation after death.

Quoting j3st3r: I think you're referring to the post about the ten year old with the sick sister. I might be a bitch but I wouldn't endanger my child that way either. There is no risk free surgery, and living with one kidney is a lifelong struggle.
Zazayam
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM

This, and religious reasons.

Not me, they can have it all when I'm done with it.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Some people (not me) believe if they agree to be an organ donor doctors won't work as hard to save their lives because their organs are more valuable.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN