Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

10 Things We Say About Friends' Bad Engagements & What We REALLY Mean

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
  • 36 Replies

10 Things We Say About Friends' Bad Engagements & What We REALLY Mean

by Jenny Erikson

Have you ever had a friend get engaged, and for whatever reason, you were less than thrilled? Maybe you didn’t like the guy, or thought she was rushing into it, or maybe even you were jealous … but of course you’re not going to say that. So you say something else, while trying not to lie.

How to politely react to your friend’s terrible engagement is such a universal girl problem that SNL’s Sasheer Zamata made a hilarious video about how to do it right. You know -- focus on minor details, just squeal a lot, and state facts like, “You’re engaged!”

Anyway, we asked women for real examples of their less than forthright reactions to their engagement announcements that they were less than thrilled about, and it seems like everyone has a story to tell about friend making a bad decision in the matrimony department.

Here are 10 real life reactions to news about a terrible engagement, and what they were really thinking.

What she said: A small intimate proposal when you woke up in the morning?! How sweet!

What she meant: Man, it must suck knowing he didn’t put any thought into this.

What she said: OMG!! Really?

What she meant: WTF, are you thinking?

What she said: Your fiancé is so hot!

What she meant: He is too hot for you. He is definitely going to cheat on you. Something weird going on here. Maybe he needs a green card.

What she said: Oh wow, that's so soon! You guys just can't wait to start your life together! I'm so happy for you!

What she meant: You're pregnant and everyone knows it.

What she said: Ahhhh!!!!!

What she meant: Shit, I am stuck with this creep for life!

What she said:  Congrats, I'm so happy for you!

What she meant: Well, it's about damn time.

What she said: What a unique ring.

What she meant: That's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

What she said: Wow, congrats.

What she meant: Uhm, didn't you just get married 6 months ago ... and now you're marrying the best man? Well, at least I know now why you kept blowing me off every time I told you I was interested in him.

What she said: Congrats!

What she meant: Are you high?

What she said: Yay! He seems to really make you happy! 

What she meant: My God he is uglier than sin.

What have you told friends when they announced their very horrible engagement?

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow, I'm glad I only make friends with decent people who would neither say nor mean any of these things. "He's too hot for you?" Really'? Shallow much?
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this
HAHAHA That's funny. I guess my hot husband is going to cheat. Lol
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Was she only marrying him to get out of her strict parents' home? He ended up cheating on her with their upstairs neighbor. Sometimes women should listen to an outside perspective of the guy they are thinking about marrying because "love is blind" but friends aren't!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM
I could see the friend being jealous of the ring but that's it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:12 AM
5 moms liked this
That was all very odd. I've said just about all of those things to friends and meant it exactly the way I said it....

This is a very shallow post... I truely hope some very nice ladies don't take this seriously and feel like everyone may be mocking their happy moment
dizzy91
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM

My reaction to my ex-best friend's engagement "Oh. Hahahahahahahahaha."

My ex-best friend was the guy in that relationship. He was a self-confessed perv, who likes to say, "I will literally do anything that moves." Seriously. Direct quote from him.

He cheats constantly. She knows it. She threatens to kill herself. She won't let him work or have a car, so she has to take him everywhere. He still manages to cheat by sneaking out at night or just having the women pick him up.

He knew exactly how I felt about their relationship. It's a disaster. Them getting engaged was just...well, it was stupid.

Anyway! This post is shallow. I'm extremely direct with what I mean. All this crap is simply stupid. Are people really that petty? I think whoever wrote this needs to get better friends.

LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM

What I really wanted to say is: Not one person believes this will last. Don't do it. 

After they divorced: It was never going to work. 

turtlesquish23
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM
This is horrible. When I congratulate someone I mean it
OHIOmommy330
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't candy coat a damn thing. I've told my friends flat out that I don't like their fiance or husband. I told her she was a fucking idiot to marry him. He was mean to her, called her stupid and would tell her that her PLACE was in the house cooking and cleaning. I guess the 5 carat diamond clouded her judgement and  self respect. He was openly racist, I wasn't allowed in their house, I couldn't hold her children and I was put on a list to not be allowed to their wedding. She went along with all of this. As time went on, the friendship fizzled out and we stop speaking for some years. When they divorced, she showed up on my door step and asked my forgivness, I slammed the door in her face!

CBMMOM
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 2:11 PM

"Shallow" isn't a verb.

Quoting B1Bomber: Wow, I'm glad I only make friends with decent people who would neither say nor mean any of these things. "He's too hot for you?" Really'? Shallow much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)