Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Making family get vaccinated before visiting baby….???

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM
  • 364 Replies
2 moms liked this

My SIL is having her first baby this week. She recently informed everyone that she wants everyone to get a DTaP vaccine before visiting the baby. My kids are up to date on their vaccines so they're fine and I honestly don't mind getting a shot if I have to, but I was just wondering.....is this a new normal practice?? My other sister in law's friend requested the same thing last year when she had her baby. Anyone elses OB/midwife tell them this??

Hey!! I'm featured!!!!! lol 

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pixie-buttercup
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM
13 moms liked this
Hahaha...I wouldn't be visiting then. Everyone here is up to date but I think that's a ludicrous demand.
Ashley1113
by Ley on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:17 PM
12 moms liked this
I understand why she requested it, but at the same time, it's a ridiculous demand.
lillettemomma
by Silver Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I would tell her there would be no way I was getting a random vaccine for her kids benefit....sorry but I don't get any vaccines for myself and my kids only get what is absolutely required for their services
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM
24 moms liked this
yea. except here is what happens. the baby cant be vaxxed until she\he is 2 months old. that vaccine sheds for 30 days after you get it. meaning if the baby is born today and you get your shot tomorrow and visit before the 30 days is up its more likely for the baby to get sick than if you had not been vaxxed at all. the exception to this is, if she was vaxxed while pregnant. also, that illness is mutating and the vaccine isnt QUITE as effective as people think. im not saying its not effective at all, just not as much as people seem to think it is. if you look at the numbers more people who are vaxxed against this illness end up getting it than those who are not. imo its honestly one of those situations that could go either way. your damned if you do, your damned if you dont.
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM
This is ridiculous, IMO. I have no idea how I would handle it...but I definitely wouldn't visit my PCP for boosters. Crazy.
polkaspots
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:25 PM
My doctors did, but I didn't. We vaccinate the children, but I don't get vaccinations. DH gets his regularly as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Cocconing has been proven not to work. My cousin wanted that for her house. I understand the fear, but you can't ask someone to risk themselves. All vaccines have risk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this
No, but be reasonable about exposing baby the first two months or so.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)